Ludwig Rockers

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey, I have a friend in Atlanta looking at this kit: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/4513618618.html

The guy told him he paid close to 8 grand initially, which I think is a load of garbage. These are Ludwig Rockers, which if I'm not mistaken are more of a beginner line right? He was also told that Zildjian cymbals are included, but I can't make out the series from the pics.

Does anyone think this asking price of $1000 is even remotely fair?

Thanks!

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
a friend of mine had a black set of Rockers , but not with the modular hardware. i thougt they sounded great. they were also super lightweight.
pinstripes on power tom sizes, and they sounded great.

i doubt that kit would fetch $500 even with hardware and cymbals

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way anyone paid $8,000 for that. I hope.

If you don't like power toms then they're not worth any amount. If you DO, then it depends on the cymbals, which I can't see but am guessing are from a budget line. If I loved that size of drums/hardware I'd say 300 - 500 for them. I have a set of rewrapped Rockers and they're decent drums.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
B*ll Sh%t

I've still got a set of Rockers from 1986. 7 drums and hardware with 2 Zildjian Amirs and tax was like $1000-1100.

Great drums. If this guy paid anymore than I did for the above, well.............. :blackeye:

(but then again it as base arms so!) :laughing5:

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I love how people throw out a number like $8000 to make it seem like $1000 is a "steal".

pontiacrich

For Bongo & JM :(
Reaction score
I bought my 5-piece Rocker set - Black Cortex like the one pictured - with all Ludwig hardware for $800 back in '88 and I still have them today.

IMO Rockers get a bad wrap (no pun intended) they are great drums for the price point and the only thing that failed in 26 years were the cymbal stand bases - the collars cracked right at the tightening knob boss. Rockers are great sounding drums.

Ok, that was the good, now for the bad...as my price point indicates the seller is smoking something if he really paid $8k for that kit - though I don't see anywhere in the ad where the seller claims that was the cost. Second warning sign: It's not a ten piece kit, it's a six piece kit with hardware and cymbals. Third warning sign: Base toms! Anyone selling a kit that doesn't know how to properly describe it, should be viewed with great suspicion, again in my opinion.

If your friend really wants the kit, I would offer the seller about $300- $400, as from the pics it doesn't look like the cymbals are anything worth keeping.

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw that set over the winter on cl,same pic same high price,he is fishing for sure.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
They are basically Super classic 4 ply shells and do sound very good... but were never $8000 new. I had a 5 piece bought new in 87 for $1000....agree with price point of somewhere from $300-500

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
If he paid eight grand for them, the price must have included the two year old minivan that transported the drums.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 8 grand quote came in an email back to my friend after he inquired about it. This friend had been out of playing for some time now I believe and it's sad to see how easily someone could get taken. Just flash a brand name and people think "It's Ludwig, it must be worth it". Now if he talks the seller down 5 or 6 hundred then it will be! Again, thanks for all the input. Another reason I love this forum!

fishmouth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My HS band had that exact set, minus the second "base tom". I loved it. My first (and only) new kit was a red big beat set (12/13/16 trad depths). I loved that one too, but sold it after getting my two older Luddy kits. Probably shouldn't have, it would be a great gigshare/beater/loaner.

But yeah, definitely not worth $1000. Generously at $50per drum, i think $300 might be a good price (extras included), but some of the expert bargain hunters may think that's too high.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Soooo.......anyone in the Alpharetta GA area moving any drum kits?? Looks like the friend is interested.

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If he gets it, tell him I'll give him $50 for the Paiste 400 splash.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
But...but...but they're in mint condition!!!!!!!!!!!!

sandmanexc

Reaction score
1980's Ludwig Rockers are not junk. I owned a 10 piece kit in Red Fury Wrap and they were great sounding drums. If the interiors of the Rocker Shells are clear, these are the very same shells Ludwig used to make Ludwig Super Classic Drums which was their top of the line drums in the 1980's. The shells were Maple/Poplar/Maple ply lay up. They were made in the brand new plant when Ludwig first moved from Chicago, Ill to Monroe, NC

If the shells have the gray flecked interior which they called Granitone, the shells are not the best quality. Clear interior Rockers are awesome drum shells with cheaper hardware. They were made for the working drummer and not so much beginners. I toured my Ludwig Rockers for many years of hard abuse on the road and never once did I have a issue, no lug breakage, mounts were solid as a rock. The value of Clear Interior Rockers has gone up as many seek the out and cut down the shells to standard depths and install Classic Lugs.

Before anyone want to start an argument, here it is in black and white http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig_rockers.html.

Here's my very kit in Ludwig's 1988 Catalog

fishmouth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No argument here, I completely forgot about the difference between the interiors, which would have been a major thing to point out. The HS kit i talked about earlier were the clear interiors and had the rounded off lugs (power depths) and my kit had the granitone shells. Not junk at all, but definitely entry-level in fit and finish. I liked them though.

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Rocker-lovers, here's a question: Both Rocker Is and Rocker IIs had 4-ply shells - the IIs have the granitone interior to cover the use of "less visually appealing pieces of wood" (quoting the website you linked - thanks btw, that was informative). Does that mean the actual shells are the same other than maybe the appearance of the outer plies? My kit is obviously Rocker II shells - they had a poor quality black "Rock Onyx" wrap, NOT a cortex. But they're in round and the bearing edges are great. They are lightweight but tune well and sound good.

Here are before and after rewrap pics:

Attachments