Ludwig Score

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Grabbed these today. I’ve been searching for a clear maple 3 ply project kit for what feels like forever.
13” and 16” have very evenly faded to a creamy silver sparkle. 22” looks like it will turn out really vibrant. I can’t wait to tear into these tonight!!

The original owner is pretty sure they were bought new off the music store floor with these mixed badges. The numbers all indicate 1968-1969. Let me know if you think differently.

B/O 13” #793873
B/O 16” #756875
Keystone 22” #580640

Also came with B/O 14” and 15” toms that were added later. 3 ply, rewrap with Granitone interior.
I’ll be putting those 2 up for sale.

Thanks for looking!

06D4F647-4D71-444A-99AC-D04972BC4CC7.jpeg

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Nothing better than 3 ply clear maples. Any thoughts about putting a rail mount back on the kick?
Coy
PS others have documented pointy B/O and KB's born together.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Nothing better than 3 ply clear maples. Any thoughts about putting a rail mount back on the kick?
Coy
PS others have documented pointy B/O and KB's born together.
Yes. I’d prefer to have a rail there. But not crazy about that big ol’ hole from the center post. We’ll see.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For those interested in such things:

B/O 13” #793873: July 6 1970
B/O 16” #756875: No Stamp
Keystone 22” #580640: May 2? 1968

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I wonder why the late 60's early 70's wraps get milky looking like that? I have seen more than a few drums from this time period where the sparkle finish does that. I don't see that happening much on sparkles pre-1969. I've seen plenty fade from earlier time periods but I'm specifically talking about that milky hazed look to the finish. Very strange.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wonder why the late 60's early 70's wraps get milky looking like that? I have seen more than a few drums from this time period where the sparkle finish does that. I don't see that happening much on sparkles pre-1969. I've seen plenty fade from earlier time periods but I'm specifically talking about that milky hazed look to the finish. Very strange.
I've got a couple champagne shells like that. I want to try the Merlin's Retr0bright method of restoring them but I've had trouble finding the correct hydrogen peroxide concentration and will need to get a crappy throw-away blender first. The Retr0bright gel is used to remove the yellowing from old plastic computer parts. http://www.retr0bright.com/make.html
Apparently it worked for this guy: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/wow-i-just-safely-and-completely-unyellowed-my-wmp.90954/

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
It might be as simple as.....Ludwig started getting their drum wrap from a different source. Or the company making it changed the formula.

Stretch

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would leave the center post there if it were me. If you're doing a 1 up config then get a Ludwig Rocker center post L arm and I'm pretty sure you'll like it.
Right on this. The kit came with the post, actually.
What’s irritating is that the holes for the post mount are oriented incorrectly so the mount doesn’t sit properly on the shell.

I never noticed that the post mount was curved so much on the bottom, but it really is.

So... any good/interesting ideas on how to cover this tragedy up? I don’t want to rewrap.

8908051A-C2D6-4805-ABC0-5CDBE39B3928.jpeg

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dowel/plugs glued in covered w/wrap. Maybe somebody has scraps of silver sparkle on forum. Could order a pc. from Precision Drum or your place of choice. Worse case, use wrap from under a lug.(s)

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Dowel/plugs glued in covered w/wrap. Maybe somebody has scraps of silver sparkle on forum. Could order a pc. from Precision Drum or your place of choice. Worse case, use wrap from under a lug.(s)
I agree. I would fill the holes and try to get wrap in there. It won't be perfect but it will look a lot better.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Right on this. The kit came with the post, actually.
What’s irritating is that the holes for the post mount are oriented incorrectly so the mount doesn’t sit properly on the shell.

I never noticed that the post mount was curved so much on the bottom, but it really is.

So... any good/interesting ideas on how to cover this tragedy up? I don’t want to rewrap.
Yikes! I didn't even notice that but I see what you're saying. Yes dowels and sparkle wrap dots as suggested, or I seem to remember somebody on here having some success with gluing some glitter on the plugs and blending it. I can't remember if it was MLayton, K.O., or someone else, but maybe whoever it was will see and chime in.

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently did this type of dowel-and-wrap dot repair. It's hard to match the color exactly, so you will not make the damage disappear completely. But you can't see it from a couple of feet away and it is certainly better than just having holes in the shell.

Attachments

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you, guys.

I’m going to play them for a bit and see how I feel. The drums are going to live in a recording studio so they really don’t need to look great. That’s not to say these holes are remotely acceptable.

A rewrap might not be out of the question after all. I’m not a fan, but... we’ll see.

I might also fit a nice piece of rosewood there and mount some funky wood sculpture on it.

Last edited: