Ludwig snare cord

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score

Peterk256

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am sure if you went to a fabric shop (Beverly's or Joann's), you could find what you need.

You can also buy blind cords for cheap - 100 yards for $8 on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shade-or-Blind-Repair-Lift-Cord-String-100-FEET-Diamond-Braided-High-Quality/183719550212?hash=item2ac689dd04:m:mqp7Hdsz_aJLRfqKN9QGcwg:sc:USPSFirstClass!93940!US!-1&frcectupt=true
I believe the 0.9mm choice in this listing is the closest to what I measured on the Ludwig orange cord.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ordered it. Thanks for the lead. Hopefully it doesn’t show up St. Patrick green.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe the 0.9mm choice in this listing is the closest to what I measured on the Ludwig orange cord.
Not sure, I just tried to measure my Ludwig orange cord and it seemed to be over a millimeter wide (but less than two). I just ordered 100ft of the 1.4mm based on that. Granted it's hard to measure something like this with any real precision just holding it up to a ruler. I figured I could risk $8, even though I probably still have enough of the real stuff left to last the rest of my lifetime.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just sold a snare and gave the guy some new "snare cord" which is what I salvaged off the blinds I threw away. The cord on the snare was "real" snare cord and it was slightly thinner than the blind cord. So if you are looking for non-Ludwig replacement cord (as I had posted blind cord on eBay), note that blind cord is 1mm and snare drum cord appears to be 0.9mm.......not a huge difference but I did notice it when compared side by side. Blind cord works just fine, though.

Peterk256

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure, I just tried to measure my Ludwig orange cord and it seemed to be over a millimeter wide (but less than two). I just ordered 100ft of the 1.4mm based on that. Granted it's hard to measure something like this with any real precision just holding it up to a ruler. I figured I could risk $8, even though I probably still have enough of the real stuff left to last the rest of my lifetime.
You may be correct about 1.4mm. I ordered 0.9mm samples in three shades of white from www.fixmyblinds.com and they were too thin. I just saw this guide on their site, seems like a great way to judge the correct width: www.fixmyblinds.com/part-categories/cord-string-and-loops/lift-cord-string.html

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
You may be correct about 1.4mm. I ordered 0.9mm samples in three shades of white from www.fixmyblinds.com and they were too thin. I just saw this guide on their site, seems like a great way to judge the correct width: www.fixmyblinds.com/part-categories/cord-string-and-loops/lift-cord-string.html
Just tried that method of measuring string diameter (thanks for posting it) with my orange Ludwig cord wrapped around a pencil ten times (not as easy to do as you'd think) and it came out to be slightly between 9/16ths and 5/8ths inch....so maybe 1.4mm maybe 1.5mm but definitely one of those two. Even if the 1.4mm stuff I ordered turns out to be a tenth of a millimeter thinner than what Ludwig sells, the description said it would hold 90lbs and I don't think I ever have my snares quite that tight.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got my 100 feet of 1.4mm cord in the mail today. Looks like we have a winner. Appears to be the same stuff as the Ludwig cord other than the color (white). Same diameter as far as I can tell by eyeballing them side by side. I guess I'm really set for life now as far as the snare cord goes.

Latest posts