Ludwig snare shootout (LM402 and Black Beauty)

addisonnyle

Reaction score
As I've been on the hunt for a new snare (having just sold my Acrolite that wasn't doing it for me), I've all but decided a BB was the one for me, just the standard 6.5" with imperial lugs. I then went to a local shop and while I was able to hear a BB, I did play a number of other drums, including an LM400 that made me go "dang that sounds good". I also had the salesperson tell me about the new 8 lug BB which threw yet another wrench into things.

So my question is, have any of you had this same dilemma? I wish I could afford both but the budget is only allowing for expensive snare, not two! Ha. My fear with an LM402 is that it will sound too much like my Acrolite (although my acro was 5", so I know it will be different in that respect). What would you all consider as the more versatile drum? And should I consider their 5 inch counterparts, or do the LM402 and 6.5" drums get the most love? What about 8 lugs on the BB?

Thanks so much!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Consider that BBs are usually brass and that the LM402 is aluminum (as was your Acro)and that, to me, they are different animals. They both live well at various tunings, but only you know which one works best for you.

I think you can't go wrong, but my go to drum is a '98 LM400. For me, it's my favorite Ludwig snare.

Dan

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My usual preference when it comes to metal shell snare is to go with an aluminum shell snare . The Black Beauty is the exception . Not sure what it is but they are just amazing snare drums both the 5” and 6.5” are excellent .

To add I like the 402 Ludaloy snare more than the 400 model

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I have Acros, Supras, and BBs, each in both 5" and 6.5" sizes. They all sound different. The 402 will not sound like your 5" Acro. I prefer 6.5" over 5" snares because I like the extra body, but that's just a personal thing. Try to play them all in person and see which you like, or at least find some good demos on Youtube. Let your ears decide. You can't go wrong with any of them.

addisonnyle

Reaction score
I have Acros, Supras, and BBs, each in both 5" and 6.5" sizes. They all sound different. The 402 will not sound like your 5" Acro. I prefer 6.5" over 5" snares because I like the extra body, but that's just a personal thing. Try to play them all in person and see which you like, or at least find some good demos on Youtube. Let your ears decide. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Glad to hear they won’t sound similar! My in person experience said the same, even having played the 400. It was way more “exciting”.

if you could only have one in a 6.5, what would you pick?

addisonnyle

Reaction score
My usual preference when it comes to metal shell snare is to go with an aluminum shell snare . The Black Beauty is the exception . Not sure what it is but they are just amazing snare drums both the 5” and 6.5” are excellent .

To add I like the 402 Ludaloy snare more than the 400 model
Many have said this! Thanks for the input.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear they won’t sound similar! My in person experience said the same, even having played the 400. It was way more “exciting”.

if you could only have one in a 6.5, what would you pick?
That's like asking which child is my favorite. :icon_lol: They're both special in their own way. Today I would probably say the 402. But tomorrow I might say the BB. LOL!

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a B stock BB with tube lugs,brass shell was a ringer as in too much ring for my taste,got some Imps on it and there was that classic BB almost military sounding tone.
My 402s I had,they always had the signature sound of aluminum but ballsier from the depth.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is an excellent dilemma to have, my friend.

If I could only have one, I’d buy the first one of the two that came up used for the best price and then save for the other over time.

Both great drums. If I truly could have only one it’d be the BB because I’m tired about hearing about how Bonham played a 402....

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although there's nothing like trying each of these out in person, that's not always possible. If you haven't done so already, take a listen to the the following DCP Ludwig snare drum shootout where they compare Ludwig's current metal snare offerings. If you listen with a good set of headphones and do so blind, without looking at which snare is being played, you may be able to get a better idea as to how each differs.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think that the LM402 is a difficult drum to beat out in a head-to-head contest with any drum under $1000. They are just stupid good snare drums that will do it all very well. I have said this many times, but it is hard to make one sound bad. Just make sure that you crank up the bottom (Resonant) head. My favorite batter head is a Remo CS Coated Reverse.

addisonnyle

Reaction score
That's like asking which child is my favorite. :icon_lol: They're both special in their own way. Today I would probably say the 402. But tomorrow I might say the BB. LOL!
Haha, thanks for not being one of "those" parents. That's funny! Insightful that both are good to you in different ways!

addisonnyle

Reaction score
Man I need a Copper Phonic
That was actually one of my favorites of the video but that is definitely pushing the budget.

Although there's nothing like trying each of these out in person, that's not always possible. If you haven't done so already, take a listen to the the following DCP Ludwig snare drum shootout where they compare Ludwig's current metal snare offerings. If you listen with a good set of headphones and do so blind, without looking at which snare is being played, you may be able to get a better idea as to how each differs.

Thanks for this! Worked on studio monitors in the office today and was gladly surprised that I liked parts of each, but encouraged because I think the 402 is what I'm going to go with. Both for budget's sake but also because I just enjoyed the sound of it!

c.wulf

Reaction score
I don’t know if this will factor into your choice, but I just received my Bronze Beauty 2 days ago. It’s a new model that Ludwig is only offering to Europe at this time. In fact, it’s a Thomann exclusive at the moment, although there is a high priced one on Reverb from Drumazon in the UK- they actually had the very first LB546. Thomann’s price is much better and it wasn’t a bad wait or high shipping cost-like 5 days from Germany via UPS Express and £30.
Less ringy than the brass and I just wanted something different. Here’s the link...

Latest posts