Ludwig snare shootout (LM402 and Black Beauty)

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This video does a good job demonstrating how similar both models are to each other, especially with minimal manipulation. Not the 6.5 but you’ll get the idea. Forward to 2:30 for the demo.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
This video does a good job demonstrating how similar both models are to each other, especially with minimal manipulation. Not the 6.5 but you’ll get the idea. Forward to 2:30 for the demo.

I like the regular old Ludalloy Supra because it lacks the "honk."

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 5x14 Black Beauty so can't compare directly a 6.5 to a 402...but
I have a 400, 402, 6.5 Hammered Bronze and 5" acro....I will say that it's hard to get any of them to sound bad. My favorite of the bunch is the BB it seems to handle any room, though the 400 being a 70's model is pretty darn close and is lighter to carry around.

My 402 is a 90's model, nothing special added except canopus wires. I was playing a multi band night and the drummer after us came up to me and said "Whoa what snare were you playing it sounded great!"

so yeah can't go wrong with any of them. I think everyone should own a black beauty but that's just me :) if on a budget a used slightly pitted 402 would do just about anything you need done

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That was actually one of my favorites of the video but that is definitely pushing the budget.

Thanks for this! Worked on studio monitors in the office today and was gladly surprised that I liked parts of each, but encouraged because I think the 402 is what I'm going to go with. Both for budget's sake but also because I just enjoyed the sound of it!
Don't forget to consider "B-stock" offerings from Ludwig if your budget is tight. They typically have a minor cosmetic flaw, although many here have reported that it's often difficult to locate. Otherwise, they are "new" in every other way. You can save significantly by going with a "B-stock" as long as you don't mind the B/O over the regular keystone badge.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
That was actually one of my favorites of the video but that is definitely pushing the budget.

Thanks for this! Worked on studio monitors in the office today and was gladly surprised that I liked parts of each, but encouraged because I think the 402 is what I'm going to go with. Both for budget's sake but also because I just enjoyed the sound of it!
Push the budget!

mcirish

Reaction score
That bronze Beauty was what I wanted but couldn't afford. I ended up with a 6.5x14 Pearl Sensitone Phosphor Bronze. It's really a great snare at any price. I like the throw-off much better than the one on my Ludwig 400.

addisonnyle

Reaction score
Update! 402 has landed. I’m PRETTY sure I like it. Struggling to understand its tuning. I cranked the snot out of the reso head earlier today which helped significantly. Higher than I would have thought. Also has the stock reso Ludwig head on there. Also also, Sweetwater sent me a Vintage Coated Ambassador instead of a standard one. All in all I think it’s just that I haven’t gotten it completely dialed in yet. Took my time on the floor with it today to really fine tune and get to know it! An M80 snare weight is helping quite a lot as well. It’s honestly just the overtones, I was hoping I could rock it a bit more wide open than usual but ring just drives me nuts. Trying to find the balance between dampening just enough and not over doing it so as to kill the feel of the drum. Honestly wonder that if this is too lively for me, a Black Beauty probably isn’t the best direction for me to go!

mcirish

Reaction score
I think a black beauty would ring even more. I got a new snare the other day and I'm wrestling with finding where it works best too. The process of figuring out things is kind of fun but at the price we pay for some of these drums, I wish the process was a little quicker.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
That ring is what helps the snare to project and cut through things like loud guitars. After trying out multiple BB models in store, I went with a 6.5 hammered BB, as the hammering seemed to significantly lessen some of the more squirrely overtones I noticed in other models, and seemed to provide a slightly more focussed sound. The nice thing about this is I have no need for moon gels or muffling whatsoever, so the tone of the drum really comes through. I'd also say that hit dead centre, there sound is fat and full with no real ring to it, but off centre hits and rimshots really make it crack and ring in a pleasing way.

I say all of this knowing you already went with a Supra, and won't be disappointed once you get it to where you want it. Getting it dialled in and taking the time to learn the nuances of these complex instruments will yield great results, so enjoy the learning process. I certainly struggled with my BB in terms of heads, snares and tuning, but now feel like I know my drum and what it can do.

addisonnyle

Reaction score
I guess I should clarify ring - this is like a moaning of a specific frequency in the close mic. As loud as the drum itself, it’s not the typical shell ring one would think of. I know mics are microscopes and reveal every error in tuning, but this one is pretty bad! I’ve read the snare wire plastic could be an issue, out of round hoops, or just poor tuning! Ha. Trying to figure it out. Nuanced indeed, learning a new instrument isn’t always as fun as I’d like it to be.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
SO, I looked up this "Bronze Beauty" thing, and apparently it's real....Ludwig has re-created the Black Beauty shell, only using bronze instead of brass, like they did in the late 80s and early 90s. And yes, it seems like it's only available in Europe. I would be really interested in one of these. I had a 5" x 14" Black Beauty back in the late 90s that had a bronze shell; it sounded fantastic. I'd still have it, except the nickel plating was flaking off. That scared me away from Black Beauties for awhile....but I might be willing to take a risk on one of these:
Bronze Beauty Thomann
I wonder when they will be available in the states...I'm not ordering from Europe when I live 425 miles from the factory.
Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited:

c.wulf

Reaction score
SO, I looked up this "Bronze Beauty" thing, and apparently it's real....Ludwig has re-created the Black Beauty shell, only using bronze instead of brass, like they did in the late 80s and early 90s. And yes, it seems like it's only available in Europe. I would be really interested in one of these. I had a 5" x 14" Black Beauty back in the late 90s that had a bronze shell; it sounded fantastic. I'd still have it, except the nickel plating was flaking off. That scared me away from Black Beauties for awhile....but I might be willing to take a risk on one of these:
Bronze Beauty Thomann
I wonder when they will be available in the states...I'm not ordering from Europe when I live 425 miles from the factory.
Sorry for the hijack.
You doubted me? LOL!

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't forget to consider "B-stock" offerings from Ludwig if your budget is tight. They typically have a minor cosmetic flaw, although many here have reported that it's often difficult to locate. Otherwise, they are "new" in every other way. You can save significantly by going with a "B-stock" as long as you don't mind the B/O over the regular keystone badge.
B/O badges have long since been available for special order A stock as well. It seems like recent B stock has a cut B\O badge. OP. What type of badge did you get?

Latest posts