Ludwig snare shootout (LM402 and Black Beauty)

c.wulf

Reaction score
Never doubted you; just wanted to clarify the availability in the USA. I don't remember Ludwig ever doing this before, but maybe they have (making a product only available in another country).
I didn’t take your comment personally. :) I was unhappily surprised, as well, to discover this offering only available to Europe, but my experience with Thomann was painless. That said, I completely understand the annoyance of being so close to the factory! Haha!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I didn’t take your comment personally. :) I was unhappily surprised, as well, to discover this offering only available to Europe, but my experience with Thomann was painless. That said, I completely understand the annoyance of being so close to the factory! Haha!
Yes, indeed; I have had Ludwig kits drop-shipped directly to me in the past, and it only took 1 day to arrive! And also - I've dealt with Thomann before as well (ordering the Sonor Perfect Balance pedals), and they were easy to deal with. I've gotten packages sooner from Thomann than music dealers here in the USA sometimes.

addisonnyle

Reaction score
Update -

Put an ambassador on last night (Sweetwater had sent a vintage coated instead of a standard coated. Anyways, its always surprising what different heads can do to a drum. Needless to say, the humming overtone in the snare mic was WAY easier to control. Although I did also start the bottom head from scratch again (and didn’t shy away from really tightening things up). I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was it was to tune up or down with simple half turns at every lug on the batter head. I even enjoyed some tunings wide open (higher tunings, low tunings were a bit more out of control but I feel like that’s maybe to be expected for overtones on low tunings?).

Just thought I’d share! Those changes make me want to replace the bottom head and use chord for the snares instead of the plastic strips to really take it to the next level.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I happened upon this video today comparing 14x5 Black Beauty, Supraphonic, and Acrolite snares. I know you were asking about the 6.5 versions but given the title of the thread someone may find it useful.

Latest posts