header.nohb.html

Ludwig Snare WeatherMaster Mediums...WoW!

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Always used Remo. Long story but I ended up with a new LM402 with a new Ludwig coated WM head. Since I had stopped gigging drums, I was too lazy to swap it out. After playing this head for a long time...I must say that I LOVE it. Sounds amazing, articulate, etc....but I am really impressed that the coating seems to really last. I can't wear it out.
Wish I would have discovered these decades ago.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Always used Remo. Long story but I ended up with a new LM402 with a new Ludwig coated WM head. Since I had stopped gigging drums, I was too lazy to swap it out. After playing this head for a long time...I must say that I LOVE it. Sounds amazing, articulate, etc....but I am really impressed that the coating seems to really last. I can't wear it out.
Wish I would have discovered these decades ago.
Best heads for Ludwig snares in my opinion. I've got them on both my Acro & Supra. I've got Aquarian on everything else including on other snares but for some reason the Ludwig snares sound best with the Weather masters.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
The best part about these WeatherMaster heads is that Ludwig will continue to make them for their USA-built snare drums. USA-built Ludwig snare drums are their bread and butter. As such, there are thousands of these out there! A very large percentage of owners fall in love with the WM sound and want the same head as a replacement! All other heads are made by Remo. What's interesting is that the WM "medium" head is actually 7.5 mil, which is the same as a standard Remo Diplomat. Ludwig uses a thicker coating, making the head feel like a "normal" 10 mil Ambassador. Ludwig's "Heavy" head is 10 mil! And finally, Ludwig will also continue to make their own snare-side head, too. Yay!!

-Mark

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good news! I've some LMs that could use the "proper" head. I'd thought these were done.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
My 402 was B-stock as well and it came with the Heavy. My 404 which was new when I bought it came with the Medium.

robthedrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, that makes sense for a 402. I THINK that the 400 comes with a Medium, but would need to verify that.

-Mark
The Ludwig medium is closer to a Remo Diplomat. The heavy is closer to Ambassador weight. My understanding is that they are still offering the snare size heads but not all the different tom sizes anymore.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Ludwig medium is closer to a Remo Diplomat. The heavy is closer to Ambassador weight. My understanding is that they are still offering the snare size heads but not all the different tom sizes anymore.
Yes, you are correct about the weights and snare head sizes, which I did mention in my first reply. You might be able to find NOS WM tom heads floating around, but Remo won the bid to supply Ludwig with all tom and bass drum heads.

-Mark

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct about the weights and snare head sizes, which I did mention in my first reply. You might be able to find NOS WM tom heads floating around, but Remo won the bid to supply Ludwig with all tom and bass drum heads.

-Mark
I remember the announcements saying they were stopping head production, period. No mention of any exceptions.
So my question here is, did they restart head production again (only on the snare drums) or did they continue to make their own heads, but just for the snare drums?

Elvis

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember the announcements saying they were stopping head production, period. No mention of any exceptions.
So my question here is, did they restart head production again (only on the snare drums) or did they continue to make their own heads, but just for the snare drums?

Elvis
Hi Elvis!

Ludwig only discontinued bass drum and tom heads, but continued to make their own WM batter and snare-side heads. Currently, and for some years now, Ludwig has only been offering new USA-built snare drums in a 14" diameter. As such, they continue to make the WM heads in a 14" size only. They've always been an excellent head, with their snare-side head having the low collar. That low collar is essential for use on all the SS snare drums to have the extended wires lower away from the head. Many of us have found that a standard Remo Hazy Ambassador results in no "tom" sound with the snares in the "off" position. Hope this info helps everyone!

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mine was B-Stock and like 2 weeks ago ..
Having the "Heavy" WM head on the 402 makes perfect sense! And, I've always liked the B-stock snare drums! What Ludwig might consider a "flaw" ends up being a real nice savings for the rest us...and usually results in a drum where you really can't even find that flaw!

-Mark

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hi Elvis!

Ludwig only discontinued bass drum and tom heads, but continued to make their own WM batter and snare-side heads. Currently, and for some years now, Ludwig has only been offering new USA-built snare drums in a 14" diameter. As such, they continue to make the WM heads in a 14" size only. They've always been an excellent head, with their snare-side head having the low collar. That low collar is essential for use on all the SS snare drums to have the extended wires lower away from the head. Many of us have found that a standard Remo Hazy Ambassador results in no "tom" sound with the snares in the "off" position. Hope this info helps everyone!

-Mark
I just recommended a Classic Maple 13x6 power piccolo to someone recently.
You're saying they're out of production?
...great....

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As I mentioned...my 402 came with a Medium and I absolutely love it. But I am more impressed with the coating. I'm beginning to believe you can't wear it off with a sander.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just recommended a Classic Maple 13x6 power piccolo to someone recently.
You're saying they're out of production?
...great....
Elvis,

A quick check at Amazon shows that the 13" coated WM is available. I haven't been able to determine if this is NOS being sold or if Ludwig is still producing them. Again, Ludwig's website shows no available 13" USA-built snare drums.

The "Outfitter", where you build your kit, does show a 6x13 snare drum, but not sure what brand of heads is provided. The only way to know for sure is to contact Ludwig.

-Mark