Ludwig Spurious Spur Decisions

blindkarma

Reaction score
One of my pandemic projects is a early-80s Ludwig 5-pc black cortex kit with power toms. It was cheap and I thought it would be an easy clean, polish and flip project. The seller accurately told me it had riveted black cortex with no issues. Something I’d normally stay away from, but in black it seems fine. Secondly, he said the original curved bass drum spurs were replaced with folding import spurs by a previous owner. I figured that I would replace the curved spurs and plug the holes from the add-on spurs. But it turns out this kit originally had two pairs of curved spurs AND someone had previously changed all of the mounts to gull wings. The actual gull wing spurs are gone and the bolts to hold them are missing.

1.Was this ever common to change two pairs of Ludwig curved spurs to two pairs of gull wings? I’ve never heard of it.

2. The current pair of folding spurs might be Ludwig Rockers without the logo. I never had a Rocker set, so don’t know if they were completely generic at some point. Maybe these are Gibraltars, Cannon, etc.?

3. If you had to own this set, what would you prefer to do? A. Remove the folding spurs and replace all four Ludwig curved spurs. B. Remove the folding spurs and replace all four Ludwig gull wing spurs. C. Keep the folding spurs and plug the original holes.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Unsure. The only time I've seen multiple spurs is on vintage Slingy basses - never understood why they needed 2 in front and 2 in rear (I have a 70's 14x24 set up like that from the factory). Not hugely knowledgeable with Ludwig, but it's possible they had 4 spurs (copying Slingy or vice versa)...

3) I am not a fan of gullwings but I'd leave them as is. No need to try and find vintage parts and spend $$$ on them.
I have a DW pre-collectors 14x18 bass with those style legs as well as a Gretsch 80's USA 14x18 bass. I know more modern DW's are similar styled but branded (and supposedly they fit the same holes, but I won't spend the $$ on them), and I prefer vintage style spurs on Gretsch, but oh well. I'm not going to make more holes and plug other holes. If they are altered already, you'll spend time/$$$ on parts/fixing and it won't add value. If you're trying to flip, that's less $ to you.

2) They look like Gibraltars - about $40 for the pair. The ones on my DW worked fine but the Gretsch ones were broken so I bought a replacement pair and they fine. Two in front are plenty - somebody obviously did overkill on that kit by adding 4 of them!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this about 4 legged Ludwig basses.....

blindkarma

Reaction score
I found this about 4 legged Ludwig basses.....
The four curved spurs started appearing stock with the Power tom kits. You can see them starting in the 1981 and 1982 Ludwig catalogs. I think they actually debuted on the Projector kits in 1980, the short lived kits with detachable half-dome resonators. That was an era that had us thinking “bigger is better”.

What I don’t understand is why someone would change them to four gull wing spurs. Unless they really thought they needed all four spurs, but wanted the simplicity of gull wings. Then someone thought, let’s drill some more holes in this thing to add folding spurs and cover all options. Geez! I like correcting bad decisions on old kits, but this has me a bit stumped what to do.

paulwells73

Reaction score
If I was a potential buyer, I’d probably want them restored to their original factory condition, even if it meant plugging holes. A 70s or 80s Ludwig kit should have curved spurs, and double spurs on a kit like this are kind of cool.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Based on their '81, '82 and '84 catalogs, it looks like Ludwig included 2 pair of curved disappearing spurs standard on 16" deep bass drums and one pair on 14" deep bass drums as far back as 1981. When I ordered my 16x26 bass drums from Ludwig in 1990 they came standard with 2 pair of curved spurs.

ludwigchamp65

Reaction score
One of my pandemic projects is a early-80s Ludwig 5-pc black cortex kit with power toms. It was cheap and I thought it would be an easy clean, polish and flip project. The seller accurately told me it had riveted black cortex with no issues. Something I’d normally stay away from, but in black it seems fine. Secondly, he said the original curved bass drum spurs were replaced with folding import spurs by a previous owner. I figured that I would replace the curved spurs and plug the holes from the add-on spurs. But it turns out this kit originally had two pairs of curved spurs AND someone had previously changed all of the mounts to gull wings. The actual gull wing spurs are gone and the bolts to hold them are missing.

1. This is definitely uncommon, but not unheard of. My GUESS is that the previous owner wanted the simplicity and vintage/low profile look. Then, they went with the new folding spurs and called it a day.

2. It looks like Pearl spurs from back in the day, although there is a possibility that these are generics cia Gibraltar, Cannon, etc. like you said

3. If I had to own this set, I would re-install the dual 1/2" Ludwig curved spurs as the original build was and plug up everything else. If I was GIGGING with this set, I would keep the folding spurs and plug the holes on the gull wings (less creep on the carpet, less need for bass anchor if you have a heavy foot)

Food for thought!

Latest posts