Ludwig Standard "Champagne"

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
I know this topic has been covered previously, but just wanted to share a few images of a Ludwig Standard snare I picked up this week. I'd been looking for a Champagne Sparkle Jazz Festival to match my kit, and this seemed close enough from the photos for a lot less money.

When I picked it up, I initially thought it was a re-wrap as the champagne colour was pretty uniform and the wrap was tight and in good shape. After taking off the first lug, though, it was immediately obvious that it was a Silver Mist (and not Gold Mist as the ad had stated) that had mellowed to a darker champagne over the past four decades.

I love the colour, but it's also clear that it's not really that close to the 1960s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle when you compare them closely. Still a nice find - it always feels good to pick up a good-sounding vintage drum at a reasonable price.

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great drum! I picked one up a few months back that was disguised under grey paint. It was confusing to see both silver and champagne while cleaning it. The color change to champagne really looks different yet interesting. I am amazed that the Standard wraps often darken while other models fade.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pretty common that Silver Mist fades/changes like that. It must be some sort of chemical reaction within the wrap since it fades so evenly around the entire drum. Even on the undersides of bass drums (apparently not caused by exposure to UV light like most wrap fading).

Also common to see such drums offered for sale as being "champagne" which was never offered in the Standard line.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Cool snare. I like how evenly the color changed.

I've been looking for a Lemon Strata Standard snare for a while without any luck.

Justin D Williams

Reaction score
Cool snare. I like how evenly the color changed.

I've been looking for a Lemon Strata Standard snare for a while without any luck.
Thank you .The pioneer was originally green sparkle but faded into gold fairly evenly and the standard isn't faded at all. Its only seen the light of day twice since 72. Once when it was given to me 20 years ago and for these pictures when I finally figuree out what I had . I plan to put fresh heads on the standard and play it a bit. Then fix up the pioneer with period correct heads and a strainer I have in storage and use as a display piece in the band room .

mesazoo

Reaction score
Pretty common that Silver Mist fades/changes like that. It must be some sort of chemical reaction within the wrap since it fades so evenly around the entire drum. Even on the undersides of bass drums (apparently not caused by exposure to UV light like most wrap fading).

Also common to see such drums offered for sale as being "champagne" which was never offered in the Standard line.
Why doesn't it change under the lugs then?