Ludwig Standard Color ID help and advice wanted

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
I was recently given a couple Ludwig Standard drums, a 16" floor tom and a snare, and I luckily found a matching 12" tom on ebay right after. I have tried to identify the color, but I'm having trouble. The ebay seller claimed Gold Strata, but all the pictures I find of that color have way more of a gold/yellow tone to them. These seem like they may have been gold or even the avocado, but have faded to a more neutral color. The odd thing is that there's no way drums from different sources would have faded the same way, so I am really stumped. I want to find a bass drum, but I'm sure that will be a very difficult task. I'm willing to take any strata finish at this point, or even any finish at all and I'll re-wrap. I'm thinking a black or chrome wrap will look good with the rest of the drums. I welcome any opinions on that.

A really weird issue is that there is no snare bed cut into this snare drum. I think they made some single headed timbales as well, but this drum has double sided lugs and is drilled for a throw-off, so I think it just left the factory without the snare bed, which is crazy. I need to have the floor tom bottom edges re-cut anyway since it's probably sat without a head for 30+ years, so I'm hoping I can get a snare bed cut as well.

Any thoughts or advice on how to complete this kit for gigging is welcome.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.JPG

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’m 99% sure this is what Gold Strata looks like. Kind of a cross between yellow and brown.
5F4D84A3-38E6-411B-A56E-A1E5A01F42E5.jpeg
5E369FBC-DE50-431D-97DB-B284D8526D75.jpeg

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
Thanks, and I agree that the gold has a definite yellow tint all over. I'm wondering what mine is then...

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Regarding fading. I have several Sky Blue Pearl drums that came from several different places/kits. All have faded almost exactly the same.
But yes, take off a lug and see. But even there, under the lugs, my SBP drums have faded, just not as much. It must be something with age rather than exposure to sunlight.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Pretty certain yours are avocado strata. The other ones pictured are lemon strata. Gold strata is a mix of white pearl and black with orange highlights ( reminds me of a tiger skin). Bronze strata is just orange and black without the white ( or very little of it).

These wraps varied widely but some avocado did have those small orangeish highlights to it. It also might be mahogany showing through translucent areas.

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think the original post's is gold that may have yellowed, or avacado that has faded.

Reaction score
I was recently given a couple Ludwig Standard drums, a 16" floor tom and a snare, and I luckily found a matching 12" tom on ebay right after. I have tried to identify the color, but I'm having trouble. The ebay seller claimed Gold Strata, but all the pictures I find of that color have way more of a gold/yellow tone to them. These seem like they may have been gold or even the avocado, but have faded to a more neutral color. The odd thing is that there's no way drums from different sources would have faded the same way, so I am really stumped. I want to find a bass drum, but I'm sure that will be a very difficult task. I'm willing to take any strata finish at this point, or even any finish at all and I'll re-wrap. I'm thinking a black or chrome wrap will look good with the rest of the drums. I welcome any opinions on that.

A really weird issue is that there is no snare bed cut into this snare drum. I think they made some single headed timbales as well, but this drum has double sided lugs and is drilled for a throw-off, so I think it just left the factory without the snare bed, which is crazy. I need to have the floor tom bottom edges re-cut anyway since it's probably sat without a head for 30+ years, so I'm hoping I can get a snare bed cut as well.

Any thoughts or advice on how to complete this kit for gigging is welcome.

View attachment 448934
View attachment 448935
GOLD strata

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
interesting - I thought the lemon had more really yellow coloring to it -
It often does but there is a lot of variation in these wraps so some times it comes down to ruling out the colors it isn't. Lemon is the only one with any yellow tones in it. Avocado really varies but is the only one with any green in it at all, although some batches also had bits of orange in it. Bronze and gold are very similar but gold has a lot of silver/white areas in it while bronze is just orange/brown and black. Blue and ruby are generally self explanatory but either can fade in odd ways.

I have one snare drum in each of the colors but can't post a picture right now.

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone! It's crazy that I still don't know what I have. It doesn't look like any of KO's snares.

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
Thanks for the help everyone! It's crazy that I still don't know what I have. It doesn't look like any of KO's snares.
Did you remove a lug?

A few years ago, somebody on FB was selling a faded Ruby Strata set or toms. When I told him they were faded, he argued. I told him to remove a lug to see. He went on for about 3 more posts how I didn't know anything, how long he'd been doing this, etc, etc. He later sent me a message apologizing, as he had finally taken a lug off to see the difference and how much the drums had really faded.

Good luck!

Latest posts