Ludwig Standard Color ID help and advice wanted

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
Did you remove a lug?

A few years ago, somebody on FB was selling a faded Ruby Strata set or toms. When I told him they were faded, he argued. I told him to remove a lug to see. He went on for about 3 more posts how I didn't know anything, how long he'd been doing this, etc, etc. He later sent me a message apologizing, as he had finally taken a lug off to see the difference and how much the drums had really faded.

Good luck!
I did take off a lug and it looks the same underneath, but just slightly more vivid. Not enough to give me a better idea.

Originally I thought it was the avocado, just a batch that wasn't as green as the rest. When I found the add-on drum with a wildly different serial number being the same tint I became confused.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I did take off a lug and it looks the same underneath, but just slightly more vivid. Not enough to give me a better idea.

Originally I thought it was the avocado, just a batch that wasn't as green as the rest. When I found the add-on drum with a wildly different serial number being the same tint I became confused.
Serial numbers can be wildly divergent even on factory sets. The badges were applied randomly, pulled from a parts bin that they were dumped in, so a badge on the bottom of the bin might languish there for a long time as new stock is added on top of it before the bin was completely emptied. Eventually it gets pulled out but now it is thousands away from the other badges pulled for the drums going into a set. Ludwig did not care, nor keep records of, what number was on what drum. Their only concern was that each drum had a unique number, whatever it might be.

Those drums have to be one of the six strata colors.

If pulling off a lug revealed no blue it's not faded blue.
Definitely not Lemon
Definitely not Ruby if no red or pink under the lug.
Not Bronze
Very unlikely to be gold, not enough orange areas.

That leaves avocado as the closest wrap to what you see. Perhaps not as green as some examples but does appear to be a greenish gray. I've seen other Avocado sets that looked like that.

It seems that Ludwig was at the mercy of their wrap supplier for the strata wraps (which were thinner and less expensive than their top line wraps). So if a new batch of a particular color wasn't quite the same as the previous batch, or the initial batch from which the swatches were photographed, they still used it. The stratas are most akin to the upper line oyster wraps which also show a fair amount of variation (although not to the same degree as the Stratas, perhaps Ludwig was a bit more picky about those).