Ludwig Standard Kit - seeking a floor tom

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a Ludwig Standard kit for a long time and finally stumbled onto one at a great price. 20-12 and 5x14. All I need is a hoop for the bottom of the 12" and a floor tom. I think on the Ludwig Standard chart this finish was called gold mist but it’s basically champagne. I'd even go for another brand if I could find a finish that matched close enough. This would work until I eventually find a Ludwig Standard FT in this finish. The kit is in good condition, local, and I can get it for $400. I've wanted a Ludwig Standard kit since seeing Fred Eltringham play his. ideas? thanks!

LUDWIG STANDARD.jpg

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And I doubt it will match because that color has a wide spectrum in darkening and is often uneven. If it looks champagne, likely it was once Silver Mist not Gold. Here is an example.

1575528197338.jpeg

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, those are silver mist drums. Most of them have turned into that champagne like color. I guess the good news is that if you can find a silver mist floor tom there's a fair chance it will be a similar color now.

Gold mist was that orangish gold just like Ludwig gold sparkle and that color tends to be pretty stable so they usually will look more or less the same as when new. Silver mist drums almost seem to have experienced some type of internal chemical reaction as they almost all seem to fade to this color and the fading is very even.

The missing original floor tom would have been a 14x14.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You will likely look forever to find that missing floor tom. Buy a complete set.
I think the guy who is selling the kit has already been looking forever for a matching FT. I'll either find another Ludwig Standard FT for a decent price in another finish and rewrap (which I dread) or pass on the kit.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen several toms that might work with the Ludwig Standard lugs like this but they're actually Ludwig Rocker. I won't even pretend to know all the info. about the period when Ludwig went from Standard to Rocker. I'm pretty sure the shells aren't 3 ply in the Rocker series. I know that was a somewhat fuzzy period in Ludwig history. All of the matching Standard 3-4 pc. kits I see are well over $1k. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Yeah, the wrap is quite a bit smaller flakes than the normal sparkles, and nothing currently available would match. And if you could live with a Champagne rewrapped FT, by the time you found the 14” shell and bought the wrap (real Champagne/Bermuda Sand is laughably expensive now), you’d be into it for more than the correct orphan you’re waiting for would cost.

Standards are cool, and I get that walking away from a good price stinks, but I think this is a deal for somebody who already has one and wants a double bass and doesn’t have the snare.

chillybase

Reaction score
There is a Ludwig Standard group on Facebook. You may want to ask around on there.

Latest posts