Ludwig Standard snare price check

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Hi all,

What’s the acceptable going rate for these snares? Saw this one recently and am considering it.

Thanks in advance!

E0B91848-18A8-4AF3-853A-5BE2EC23EE09.jpeg

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
that's one of the rarer finishes I think.
I'd look at Reverb and Ebay completed auctions to get some ideas.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gold strata, these tend to go for $200-250 these days, at least that seems to be the common asking price ( sometimes quite a bit more).Time was that they were around 100 less than that but Standards seem to be appreciated a bit more these days. It is essentially the same drum as a Jazz Festival so not a bad deal even at the current higher pricing.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the great info - I’ll update if I’m able to grab it.

Hope you’re all having a great week!

Reactions: dtk

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I want to thank you guys for your input on this Standard. Just got it today and it’s pristine. The wrap and chrome are immaculate, with the exception of a bit of rust inside the top hoop. I think the butt is a replacement, but everything else seems to be original (including the snares?). Seller listed it as a 1971 but I’m not sure how to determine dates on these Standards other than the granitone interior which you can see in the picture. Will probably take it for a spin this weekend. Pumped to add this to the collection!

Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wrote a serial number based dating guide for Ludwig Drums which has a section on Standards. Serial numbers are an indicator. A date stamp, if present, obviously helps a lot. The script logo on both the throw and the butt is also an indicator. If you can share the serial number, I can provide some more guidance.
Rick

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I wrote a serial number based dating guide for Ludwig Drums which has a section on Standards. Serial numbers are an indicator. A date stamp, if present, obviously helps a lot. The script logo on both the throw and the butt is also an indicator. If you can share the serial number, I can provide some more guidance.
Rick
Thanks man. Serial number is 43322. There is no date stamp in the granitone - that was the first thing I looked for :) The strainer and butt both have the script logo. I inly thought the butt was replaced because it’s a bit cleaner than the rest of the chrome, but after closer inspection I think I’ve changed my mind. Script logo on the snares indicates those are original, yes? The ends look appropriately aged. Cheers!

chillybase

Reaction score
I had a Blue Mist in with the granitone interior that had a date of 1971 but my S-102 does not have a date.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. Serial number is 43322. There is no date stamp in the granitone - that was the first thing I looked for :) The strainer and butt both have the script logo. I inly thought the butt was replaced because it’s a bit cleaner than the rest of the chrome, but after closer inspection I think I’ve changed my mind. Script logo on the snares indicates those are original, yes? The ends look appropriately aged. Cheers!
Based upon the information that I have gathered, your drum is most likely from the 1970-1971 time period. It is difficult to say if your throw and butt are original to the drum without knowledge of the drum's history. The holes are the same, so they could have been switched out for some reason. If they are original, they point to an earlier date in the overall span of 1968-73, as block logos tend to be from later years. There is no exact transition point when the block logo replaced the script one, although the block logo throws appear generally earlier than the block logo butts.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Based upon the information that I have gathered, your drum is most likely from the 1970-1971 time period. It is difficult to say if your throw and butt are original to the drum without knowledge of the drum's history. The holes are the same, so they could have been switched out for some reason. If they are original, they point to an earlier date in the overall span of 1968-73, as block logos tend to be from later years. There is no exact transition point when the block logo replaced the script one, although the block logo throws appear generally earlier than the block logo butts.
Great info, thanks. Do you know when they started using the granitone on the Standard line?

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Many believe and confidently proclaim that Granitone was used on all Standards from their inception. Both the 1968 and 1971 catalogs state: "All shell interiors finished with Ludwig's exclusive new GRANITONE acoustical coating." However, this does not appear to true, as I have documented several examples of drums with low serial numbers and/or early date stamps which had the white "Resa-Cote" interior finish used on main line drums until about April 1968. There are also Standards with the clear lacquer finish which also appears in the main line drums.

I have not been able to identify a specific start date for the Granitone interior finish on Standards. Although there are exceptions, by 1969 Granitone was the primary interior finish on wood shelled Standard drums. The introduction of Lud-Cote* on main line drums did not happen at the same time that Granitone appeared on Standards. It was not until about 1971 that Lud-Cote became the predominant interior finish for the main line drums.

*Ludwig initially used the name "Granitone" in Standard catalogs. "Lud-Cote" was the name used when it was on main line drums. Most people nowadays just refer to both as Granitone.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the exact drum with a white reso coat interior. No date stamp. Serial 11xxx.

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Hopping on this thread with some pics of a standard snare I ordered yesterday. Gratitone interior, with a sticker on the inside (pictured). Also has some different looking snares- anyone know what's the deal with these or could guess the year of this drum?

I can also confirm that there are standards with the white interior. I got a 4 piece set a month or so ago that had the white coat. I would guess that puts it at '68. Wonder if there is any mahogany used in those shells?
date.jpgsnares.jpg

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Hopping on this thread with some pics of a standard snare I ordered yesterday. Gratitone interior, with a sticker on the inside (pictured). Also has some different looking snares- anyone know what's the deal with these or could guess the year of this drum?

I can also confirm that there are standards with the white interior. I got a 4 piece set a month or so ago that had the white coat. I would guess that puts it at '68. Wonder if there is any mahogany used in those shells?
View attachment 411878View attachment 411879
What wrap does the snare wear?

Latest posts