Ludwig Standard snare price check

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hopping on this thread with some pics of a standard snare I ordered yesterday. Gratitone interior, with a sticker on the inside (pictured). Also has some different looking snares- anyone know what's the deal with these or could guess the year of this drum?

I can also confirm that there are standards with the white interior. I got a 4 piece set a month or so ago that had the white coat. I would guess that puts it at '68. Wonder if there is any mahogany used in those shells?
View attachment 411878View attachment 411879

Can you share the serial number so that I can add your drum to my list of drums with Date Codes?

Last edited:

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The number on the date line is what I refer to as a Date Code. It is not clear that this is actually an indicator of a date, although many interpret them as including year (71) and possibly a month (May or September or July). I have gathered information about Date Codes and share it at my website. I have not yet cracked the code but encourage you to take a look at what I have gathered and provide your thoughts - www.gretschdrumdatingguide.com - Look on the Ludwig Guide page and scroll about two-thirds of the way down.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
The outer ply is almost certainly mahogany (as it was for most wrapped 3 ply Ludwig drums right up to the change to 6 ply shells). The inner ply on a Standard is probably mahogany but might be maple.
So the middle ply is poplar, correct?