Ludwig Standard wood snare...

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've been marveling at this Ludwig Standard wood snare that I have. I got it a number of years ago, it's just so great that the thrill still hasn't quite worn off! I bought it for all of $100 from a guy who collected lots of Ludwig Standard stuff. This snare was a little bit beat up, but just cosmetically except for the strainer which was a bit rough. It's got a red satin swirl wrap and the guy who was selling it was not a fan of the swirls, saying that he felt that they looked really cheap (the reason that he let it go for so cheap). That was fine with me because I actually like the look of that finish and it happened to match a '66 Slingerland bop kit that I got just a bit before (funny how the brands are different but the wrap is exactly the same!). I bought the new version of that bent up old strainer, put that on and... magic!

This cheap, somewhat beat looking drum is easily my favorite that I've ever owned (though I've never really owned anything super-high end, I have owned a number of snares over the years). I don't really shop for drums all that much or sit in on others' kits, but from those that I've tried I haven't really liked anything any better than this thing. It just has the perfect tone; woody but still very sharp with plenty of body as well. Its response is perfect, so that it works well playing everything from quiet crush rolls near the edge of the head to big back beats in the middle of the drum (actually I never seem to hit dead center, but a little bit off of that). I'm one of the organizers of a yearly jazz festival in my town and have kind of become the defacto drum tech. We get a backline kit donated from a great local drum shop and the though the kit they provide varies from year to year, they're are always something excellent (very often used vintage stuff that they sell). Snare drums are always something on the higher end side and typically metal. I always bring the Ludwig Standard along and offer every drummer at the show the option to use my snare drum rather than the provided backline thing and very often they'll tap on my snare and decide that they'd rather use that. So... over the years some really outstanding players (we have some fantastic musicians play our fest) and they make it sound even better than I can.

Anyway, there's just something very special to me about finding a cheap, rather ordinary seeming piece of gear that performs so well that you don't really wish that you had anything else...

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The wood Standard snares are pretty much identical to the Classic line Jazz Festival snare. The only actual differences are the lug design, the available wraps, and the badge. Other than those primarily cosmetic details it was the exact same drum.

So not quite as a pedestrian and "cheap" snare drum as its contemporary marketing might have suggested.

This underlying similarity to the upper tier drums extends through the entire original Standard line.

Last edited:

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
The wood Standard snares are pretty much identical to the Classic line Jazz Festival snare. The only actual differences are the lug design, the available wraps, and the badge. Other than those primarily cosmetic details it was the exact same drum.

So not quite as a pedestrian and "cheap" snare drum as its contemporary marketing might have suggested.

This underlying similarity to the upper tier drums extends through the entire original Standard line.
No doubt... I know that they're based on the more expensive line, with the very same shells. I do see though that they typically sell for cheaper than the Classic series stuff. I prefer them, at least aesthetically to the Club Dates with that center lug (though I still wouldn't say "no" to a set of those either!). I think just because of their relative uniqueness and the weird funky wraps that were only offered on the line that I prefer the Standard line to even the Classics...

Whether one considers them pedestrian or not, the fact that at least for a long time (I don't know about current values) they could be had very cheaply and they're such great sounding (and I would argue, great looking!) drums they're a great value... If I were to be in the market for another set of drums, I'd be looking for a set of these. I'd have to play them side by side, but I think that I might like them even more than my vintage Slingerlands...

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
Do you have any contact information for this guy? I'm looking for a bass drum in any of the strata finishes. Thanks!

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Do you have any contact information for this guy? I'm looking for a bass drum in any of the strata finishes. Thanks!
I don't know the guy well, but he is a friend on Facebook, I'm pretty sure though that I remember him posting some years ago that he had sold off everything but a couple of kits that he was keeping for himself. I think that like a lot of folks do, he got tired of stockpiling gear that was more than he could actually get around to playing. I think that he had whole kits and wasn't really dealing in orphan pieces anyway...

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
I don't know the guy well, but he is a friend on Facebook, I'm pretty sure though that I remember him posting some years ago that he had sold off everything but a couple of kits that he was keeping for himself. I think that like a lot of folks do, he got tired of stockpiling gear that was more than he could actually get around to playing. I think that he had whole kits and wasn't really dealing in orphan pieces anyway...
Thanks, I appreciate the response. I figure it would be near impossible to find one, so I'm chasing any lead I can find.

Also...does you name have anything to do with the Chicago area instrumental band from the 90s?

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Also...does you name have anything to do with the Chicago area instrumental band from the 90s?
Yes... that and the Chinese restaurant standby five style vegetables (the "five style" qualifier may have been applied to other dishes as well).

Last edited:

Latest posts