header.nohb.html

Ludwig Standard Wrap Removal

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As some of you may be aware, I'm trying to piece together an orphan Ludwig kit. I've been looking for re-wrap candidates but none of what's been offered or that I'm seeing online is exactly what I need, as determined by budget and era.

I've found a Standard floor tom that is in pretty poor condition and could be re-wrapped, but I'm not sure how the wrap would handle the heat gun approach. I used a heat gun on a cortex wrap with no issues. Do Standard wraps (and for that matter '70s-era sparkles) come off easily with the heat gun method? I know some of the '60s wraps are incredibly flammable so I'm "prepared" for that, but I also don't want to find out the wrap will melt and ruin the drum, if that's even possible. Anything I should be aware of regarding the removal of either wrap type?

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've pulled the wrap off a few Standards. It is usually attached with the same tenacity as on the top line drums. The outer plies are mahogany and if you're not careful chunks of the outer ply will come up with the wrap. Heat helps the process a good deal, but the wrap is very flammable. I'd recommend trying a hair dryer rather than a heat gun. That often warms up the wrap enough for the glue to let go but has much less risk of igniting the wrap. If that fails then a heat gun should do the trick but be careful and have a plan if the wrap starts to burn.

Actually, under controlled conditions, it's sometimes easier to burn the wrap off. It burns so fast that the shell just gets a bit singed.Generally this should be attempted only as a last resort on particularly stubborn wraps.

Reddy

Reaction score
I’m currently wrapping a set of 3ply B/O badge Ludwigs. If you removed the cortex, the wrap drums will be even easier. Start at the seam with your heat gun, make sure it’s not set on high. You will not need enough heat to melt or burn the wrap. It will get loose and then use your plastic blade or knife to lift up. Apply some more heat as you go around the drum. Don’t heat all at once. Just takes a few seconds to warm it up.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! If anyone has a Keystone 16 in a sparkle that they want to make a Christmas deal on, let me know! I might be able to avoid this altogether.