header.nohb.html

Ludwig Supralite Head Recommendations

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just purchased a new Ludwig Supralite Snare Drum size 8" x 14". I dialed it in with the heads that it came with and it sounds really good.

I purchased the 6" x 13" Supralite a few years ago. I'm very happy with it but I wanted something that would slug it out in a lower register.

This is the first time I've had a drum this size. I know I'll be changing out the heads fairly soon. Any suggestions??

stuart s

Reaction score
Remo coated CS was what I used to tame the lites back in the day.

Last edited:

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to reading all the replies on this. I have a 5.5 x 14 and these can be a bit ringy with the stock heads. I was thinking a coated CS as well.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How much ring do you want to keep?
A vintage ambassador is just a little heavier sounding and dryer than regular, emperor or control sound a step further but will still leave most overtones intact. A powerstroke 3 will dry out the overtones a lot, while a powerstroke 77 will do the same but also add a little heft to the sound

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Supralite is the sleeper drum of the century. Idk how they made a $200 steel drum sound so good but I’m not complaining. I have the 13x6 ($179 right now at Musicians Friend) and the 15x5… the 14x8 must be epic.

If you’re looking to make it a little fatter, I’ve had great results with g12 and Amb X. Just awesome heads, can’t say enough good things. I don’t typically go for 2-ply, especially on a snare, but I have to say the Vintage Amb is a really good snare head too.

G12 is a must try if you haven’t. For some reason, I always want to pair Ludwigs with Remo, just seems like pb and j, if you concur then Amb X would be my first stop.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Coated G14 on my 5x15. It allows higher head tension without pitching it up very much.

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
Appreciate all the advice. As far as ring is concerned, so far I've been able to manage that with a little moon gel.

Any suggestions for the snare side?

tomo221

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
+1 for the CS Dot. Pair it with an Ambassdor Hazy and some Canopus wires for maximum effectiveness, plus a Snareweight M1 for a bit of control. That's exactly how I set mine up years back, and it's been one of my best sounding snares since.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ev
Appreciate all the advice. As far as ring is concerned, so far I've been able to manage that with a little moon gel.

Any suggestions for the snare side?
Every Ludwig I’ve had has always liked Ludwig snare sides, although I’ve never had an import Ludwig other than these so not sure if that’ll hold true. Tbh, I haven’t swapped the factory ss on the Supralite because it’s working surprisingly well. Import heads usually get taken right off and changed for proper heads, but for some reason I didn’t have that reaction to whatever they’re using on the Supralite.

Rivot

Reaction score
Remo Ambassador emperor if ya want a nice soft feel with great stick rebound but don't listen to me no one else doesn't Cheers.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 6 1/2” steel Yamaha that favors an Evans single ply coated G1 with a small DrumDot very close to the rim. Just the right mix of control and sustain.

Steel is underrated for snares.

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like a good old coated ambassador. Tune and muffle to taste.