Ludwig tension lugs

MrYikes

Reaction score
I will begin by saying that I started playing a set in the 50s and have treated drums with the respect they deserve, but no more than that. I started with a 4 piece Slingerland set, then got the Rogers, the bass pedal failed and I have a ghost, and I replaced two heads that failed. Nothing else has been changed.
I pulled out of a dumpster a 4 piece marching tenor drum set covered with a black material skirt to hide the orange sparkle wrap. I thought I would restore the drums and add them to my 5 piece 60s Rogers set. Two heads were loose, I saw the problem, ordered new lugs online and received them, then I finally tore into the set and discovered why they were in the dumpster. It is sad. At some time someone tried to replace the tension lugs, but got the wrong type (How would anyone know what to order,,,they are the same part numbers? 2243r. The problem is the downward angle of the lug projections that receive the screws. I now see 8 lugs that have broken off and the receiving holes in the drum have been "wollered" out because of vibrations and overtightening. One drum has completely broken and was held together with 8 very large washers. If I had to carry all this extra weight I would have also thrown this set in the trash. I no longer wish to use these drums, but for curiosities sake and without spending much money, I will try to put three of them back in service and maybe give them to a school???
Since lugs cost $10, I will use what is here. I thought maybe filling the holes with bondo and redrilling the correct angle, but getting the correct angle for a boss that the screw head would press against would be a problem. I would like to hear your thoughts.drum 010.jpgdrum 004.jpg

MrYikes

Reaction score
It just occurred to me that maybe the lugs that have the projections pointing downward are at the breaking point rather than engineered that way. Can anyone confirm this? I have some 2243r lugs that look to have the projections at 90 degree,,are they all supposed to be that way? The downward angle doesn't make sense to me, but I'm no engineer.

viaduck

Reaction score
Only the lug on the right looks like a Ludwig lug. The protrusions on the lug which go into the holes in the shell should be perpendicular to the face of the lug that contacts the shell. If they aren't, then they are bent or broken. Probably, over the years someone replaced lugs with whatever they had laying around and "wallered out" the holes for the different spacing. You could drill the holes to a larger size to get a round hole, then plug them by gluing in wooden dowels, trim and sand the dowels to the shell surface, and then redrill the holes in the correct locations. Used Ludwig lugs on eBay were around $4 last time I bought some.