header.nohb.html

Ludwig Thermogloss Jazzette Project

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I've been down and out with an illness this week and decided to finally spend some time on a project I've been dreading: applying veneer to a 60's Ludwig 14x14 tom.

Before you yell: I bought this one as a complete (bad) rewrap in oyster blue and figured that I could get it close to matching the rest of the aged lacquer kit. It looks like they even managed to pull the original wrap out of the scarf joint, so that made my work easier! I was able to end up with a tight butt joint at the seam and I'll sand it to blend a bit better. Feeling accomplished!

Now for the worst part: applying finish.

5901E592-033A-459F-B853-34CA2A0E24EE.jpeg
A0F45489-7D9B-4484-9CE5-3CDBB49949A6.jpeg
47513903-211C-4863-B1CF-7D4505C34743.jpeg

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent work! That kit is going to be so beautiful when finished. Looks great already.
Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Edit: I had to come back and look at it again…now I think I NEED a kit just like this one. The Ludwig lugs have finally grown on me. And the tone on tone natural woods are calling my name. Oh man…

Last edited:

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Edit: I had to come back and look at it again…now I think I NEED a kit just like this one. The Ludwig lugs have finally grown on me. And the tone on tone natural woods are calling my name. Oh man…

It'll cost ya! Joe from wood and weather has his personal kit up for sale right now on Reverb. When I initially sought out a matching 14, Gary Astridge offered me a truly beat up example, same year and on my birthdate.....for $2200.

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll cost ya! Joe from wood and weather has his personal kit up for sale right now on Reverb. When I initially sought out a matching 14, Gary Astridge offered me a truly beat up example, same year and on my birthdate.....for $2200.
Yeah, not surprised. 14’s are the money maker!

rwm5

Reaction score
Sorry you’ve been sick and sorry you’ve been dreading this. I’ve been selfishly looking forward to seeing this set completed. Looking good so far, wishing you the best of luck.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Sorry you’ve been sick and sorry you’ve been dreading this. I’ve been selfishly looking forward to seeing this set completed. Looking good so far, wishing you the best of luck.

Thank you! I should say I was excited, but it was nerve wracking to apply the veneer on a rare drum. I guess it just took getting sick to numb my brain enough to get on with it.

Progress should be coming along shortly as I test out nitro lacquers to match the finish. The idea in using the lacquer is being able to artificially age it using some guitar-relic techniques. I should be able to match the light checking using canned air and a heat gun.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No yelling from this corner :p... I understand that you are making something better than it currently was.....I have no issues with that; I give you credit in tackling the veneer application...good luck with the process!
Looking are the responding posts, I may be asking a stupid question but why so much for the thermogloss 14"...I understand 14" Ludwig floor toms are uncommon and yes, my experience with 14" floor toms are original oyster black pearl wrapped ones which are pricey but are the Thermogloss extremely rare? I appreciate being educated on this....

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No yelling from this corner :p... I understand that you are making something better than it currently was.....I have no issues with that; I give you credit in tackling the veneer application...good luck with the process!
Looking are the responding posts, I may be asking a stupid question but why so much for the thermogloss 14"...I understand 14" Ludwig floor toms are uncommon and yes, my experience with 14" floor toms are original oyster black pearl wrapped ones which are pricey but are the Thermogloss extremely rare? I appreciate being educated on this....
Any drum in Thermogloss is extremely rare. You see more Psychedelic Red, and Orange Mod than Thermogloss.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any drum in Thermogloss is extremely rare. You see more Psychedelic Red, and Orange Mod than Thermogloss.
Thanks for the information..... and I can bet a Jazzette in Thermogloss would be rarer than say, a Super Classic, Downbeat or Hollywood model...

olmanbenny

Reaction score
How much more rare do you think Thermogloss Jazzete kits are than the mahogany finish Jazzettes?

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How much more rare do you think Thermogloss Jazzete kits are than the mahogany finish Jazzettes?
The Mahogany Jazzetes are Thermogloss as far as I know- Thermogloss is just the fancy name Ludwig came up with for the hot lacquer system they and others used.

You could order Natural Maple, Natural Mahogany and Walnut in Thermogloss.

But most people mean Natural Maple when they say Thermogloss.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A maple thermogloss Jazzette is one of my dream outfits. Now you have me thinking about having Bernie Stone whip me up 12/14/18 shells in maple/poplar/maple and build one from scratch. Besides the shells, buying all the hardware would add up mighty quick though, and I'm not sure I'm up to replicating the lacquer finish.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thank you! I should say I was excited, but it was nerve wracking to apply the veneer on a rare drum. I guess it just took getting sick to numb my brain enough to get on with it.

Progress should be coming along shortly as I test out nitro lacquers to match the finish. The idea in using the lacquer is being able to artificially age it using some guitar-relic techniques. I should be able to match the light checking using canned air and a heat gun.
I would recommend sharp razors over canned air. You can get much more accurate results and less sporadic checking. You could paint a board or two to test different techniques. This is a cool project and I can’t wait to see the results!

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I would recommend sharp razors over canned air. You can get much more accurate results and less sporadic checking. You could paint a board or two to test different techniques. This is a cool project and I can’t wait to see the results!

That's a good idea! The checking on the other drums is with the grain, so it would be nice to control it, although more time-consuming I'm sure. I've gone through a couple test boards where the lacquer tint was nowhere close (neck amber and butterscotch from Ohio valley nitro.) Waiting on a couple more options from Stewmac right now.