Ludwig Thermogloss Jazzette Project

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's a good idea! The checking on the other drums is with the grain, so it would be nice to control it, although more time-consuming I'm sure. I've gone through a couple test boards where the lacquer tint was nowhere close (neck amber and butterscotch from Ohio valley nitro.) Waiting on a couple more options from Stewmac right now.
Canned air is great on a new build, but in trying to match other drums, the razor blade method will net more natural results. Matching is such a tedious endeavor, but is so rewarding when complete.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
A maple thermogloss Jazzette is one of my dream outfits. Now you have me thinking about having Bernie Stone whip me up 12/14/18 shells in maple/poplar/maple and build one from scratch. Besides the shells, buying all the hardware would add up mighty quick though, and I'm not sure I'm up to replicating the lacquer finish.

My original idea was to wipe on freshly mixed Shellac, which is much easier and cheaper than spraying lacquer. I'm sure you could get really close that way. It's still an option in the bag in case these nitro cans don't work out.

Madmarian

Reaction score
hey, good job on the veneer, that is not so easy on such a large drum. Did you do the iron trick? (white glue on both sides, let it dry, and then iron it on?) Works smooth without a press etc. Done so many snares like that. Usually nothing larger though...

Anyhow - we want to see your progress, how did it turn out finished? Did you dye the shell to look closer to the original ones? let us see...

I recommend a nitro finish. Shellac might also be nice, but usually is less durable. Nitro laquer can also be applied with a cloth, pretty easy. I'd not use nitro from cans though..

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
hey, good job on the veneer, that is not so easy on such a large drum. Did you do the iron trick? (white glue on both sides, let it dry, and then iron it on?) Works smooth without a press etc. Done so many snares like that. Usually nothing larger though...

Anyhow - we want to see your progress, how did it turn out finished? Did you dye the shell to look closer to the original ones? let us see...

I recommend a nitro finish. Shellac might also be nice, but usually is less durable. Nitro laquer can also be applied with a cloth, pretty easy. I'd not use nitro from cans though..

Thanks. This was my first time working with veneer besides edge banding, so I'm happy with the result. I used 3M 30-NF contact cement I had left over from other wrap jobs. I have large lithography rollers that I use for applying pressure to the wrap and a scrap 4x4 wrapped in towels and bolted to a bench to support it from the underside.

Pics above are where I am in terms of progress. I'm waiting on more nitro to test before I sand and finish the shell.

Why do you say no to the cans? I've never heard of wipe-on nitro.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My original idea was to wipe on freshly mixed Shellac, which is much easier and cheaper than spraying lacquer. I'm sure you could get really close that way. It's still an option in the bag in case these nitro cans don't work out.
I actually have a new maple/poplar/maple 14x14 shell on hand that could be the basis for a natural Jazzette. I'd have to get Bernie Stone to make me a 12x18 and an 8x12. That could take a while, He's been kind of slow lately in getting stuff made.

Before I embark on a "new" project I need to get caught up on the several irons that are already in the fire. Including a set of walnut shells in 12/14/20. By walnut I mean they are 100% made out of walnut, including the re-rings. These were made by Bernie as well. I'm debating between Ludwig or Slingerland hardware but leaning towards the latter as I have some on hand and whatever I have to buy new will be cheaper while just as functional and good looking.

I'll be interested to follow your progress on your thermogloss tom project as I also have to figure out some sort of clear coat for the Walnut shells. Bernie has yet to ship the walnut 14x14 (any day now....fingers crossed) and I asked him to throw in some walnut scraps so I can test different finish options.

Back in the 1980s my dad taught himself how to spray nitro lacquer to repaint the Porsches he was restoring as a hobby. They turned out like glass. Unfortunately he is no longer with us and I never bothered to learn how to do it myself. I do still have some of his spray equipment though. Of course Nitro Lacquer isn't really an option anymore at the car paint store but I'd guess luthier's have sources.

I did some bass drum hoops with a wipe-on poly earlier this year and that might be an option. The potential for a beautiful set is there if I don't screw it up. I guess you're kinda in that same boat, LOL.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had some really good luck with spray cans of water-based poly.
I made a quick Lazy Susan out of scrap plywood and cheap hardware. Pretty nice outcome.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
We are getting very close here. A few coats of Aged Clear from StewMac (on the left) is almost perfect.

3F9CDD4D-EA08-474C-8399-917B9B22D654.jpeg

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
I spent today feathering the veneer into the edge with a fine flat file, sanding the shell, and getting a few coats of lacquer down. I'm using a lazy Susan, shooting at about a 45 degree angle downward from above while it's spinning. Warming up the lacquer and using this technique with thin coats is making it come out very smooth, moreso than I'd expected. Probably looking to add between 4 and 6 more coats over the next few days.

5FAF0676-4AAC-4028-A12F-5B2D2A3316CC.jpeg

8D8E8ECF-7CF7-4981-B7AA-2B12FF4FA6DA.jpeg

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent today feathering the veneer into the edge with a fine flat file, sanding the shell, and getting a few coats of lacquer down. I'm using a lazy Susan, shooting at about a 45 degree angle downward from above while it's spinning. Warming up the lacquer and using this technique with thin coats is making it come out very smooth, moreso than I'd expected. Probably looking to add between 4 and 6 more coats over the next few days.

View attachment 563602
View attachment 563601
You are doing a great job! Thanks for the update.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 563602
View attachment 563601

Looks very good.
Are you using a spray gun or spray cans?

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Looks very good.
Are you using a spray gun or spray cans?

These are nitro cans from Ohio Valley Nitro and StewMac. I put together an HVLP setup at one point to repaint my 77 Datsun pickup, but got scared off by the threat of harmful VOCs and decided to let a pro do that.