Ludwig tom arms don't stay put ...Fix?

drumbar

Reaction score
So you know these old L style tom arms that Ludwig used from the 60s up into the 80s. Tighten the hex nut as hard as I can, put the tom on the L arm and it just rotates (slowly)down. I know we used to have tricks, different washers etc... But has anyone figured out how to keep that knurled L arm for turning when you put weight onto it?? I am minutes away from just putting a RIMS on it and stick it on a cymbal stand.:(

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I personally HATED that tom holder design. I had a late 60s/early 70s Crestline that had very similar to what you're describing.

I just think the design was weak, as was the nuts and bolts part of the hardware. I would absolutely replace it or use something else. It's certainly going to be difficult to improve upon.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
your splines must be worn smooth (?
move in/out to a different position or? they're shot?

Try reversing them - put the long end in---just to see if they hold "on Fresh Splines"..... (the well-known Mountain tune...

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a remedy for the clockface design. Show me a picture of where your problem is. I posted the fix here on DFO just cant find it.
Coy

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
your splines must be worn smooth (?
move in/out to a different position or? they're shot?

Try reversing them - put the long end in---just to see if they hold "on Fresh Splines"..... (the well-known Mountain tune...

This could be the problem. I also use two washers and the bolt instead of a wingnut. When the bolt is clamped down with two washers with an L-arm that isn't worn down, it should hold pretty well. I also put a new diamond plate piece on my bass drum. I normally play sets with a rail but the Citrus Mod set I restored needed lots of love. The new diamond mount allows for a memory clamp to be used and it keeps the entire tom mounts from swing left or right. I haven't had a problem with my set at all. They don't totally hammered on but they aren't lightly tapped either.

citrus14.jpg

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is your problem at tom mount on the tom itself or the double tom mount?

The most important thing to fix this is to grease the threads on the eye bolts. This will make a world of difference.

pgm554

Reaction score
They some Teflon tape on the arms.

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score
you are all working too hard. get a new tom mount. ludwig still makes the part so it looks totally vintage and no modifications are needed. it has a notch for a memory lock that goes on the L-arm. the lock does most of the work and you DO NOT have to crank it.

your problem is solved.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could be the problem. I also use two washers and the bolt instead of a wingnut. When the bolt is clamped down with two washers with an L-arm that isn't worn down, it should hold pretty well. I also put a new diamond plate piece on my bass drum. I normally play sets with a rail but the Citrus Mod set I restored needed lots of love. The new diamond mount allows for a memory clamp to be used and it keeps the entire tom mounts from swing left or right. I haven't had a problem with my set at all. They don't totally hammered on but they aren't lightly tapped either.

View attachment 477433
Great imput from all members ; I agree with both JDA and Kurt (WFLKurt) ; take a look at the splines on your L arm ....they may be worn smooth due to 45 + years of adjusting and tightening.

drumbar

Reaction score
Ooohhh I do like those new eyebolts. When did Ludwig start doing that? I have tried the 2 washer thing, didnt help. The splines aren't worn, though there is one section that looks gouged. Maybe I can just slide it outward a little? Now that I think about it, I do have a 1999 ludwig fab 4 kit, I bet the floor tom mounts have this newer eyebolt style? Save me $13. Thanks everyone.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grease the threads with a good general purpose or white lithium grease. You will be amazed how well it works.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score

pjmariner

Reaction score
I just restored my 35 year old rocker kit, I I added thick stainless washers and stainless acorn nuts I got on amazon, the nuts are a larger 9/16 head then original nut plus with more threads and looks worlds better. The do not move at all now. I did same thing in floor tom as well
638DADAA-F3DB-4538-8728-09833BECE656.jpeg CE1FA57F-6B35-405B-A469-9F803B7A7C65.jpeg

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just restored my 35 year old rocker kit, I I added thick stainless washers and stainless acorn nuts I got on amazon, the nuts are a larger 9/16 head then original nut plus with more threads and looks worlds better. The do not move at all now. I did same thing in floor tom as well
View attachment 478740 View attachment 478741
Nice job on the Rockers!

Vipercussionist

Drummer Extra Ordinary
Reaction score
I use this style of mounting system often.
If you replace the "eyebolt" with a new one, you find the new ones are splined and some of the vintage ones are not.
Made ALL the difference for me!!!

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play my kit out. I hate needing a wrench to mount/move my toms. I bought a new mount from Ludwig.