header.nohb.html

Ludwig tom arms don't stay put ...Fix?

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You need these. The older ones had no splines to lock in. Must have for the gullwing style spurs as well.

I got (2) of the new ones but they're too big to fit my '66 cubbies mount. I'm guessing there's not an updated eye bolt in this size? I do not wish to change the mount if I can help it.
IMG_7567.jpg

pjmariner

Reaction score
I got (2) of the new ones but they're too big to fit my '66 cubbies mount. I'm guessing there's not an updated eye bolt in this size? I do not wish to change the mount if I can help it.
View attachment 480714
Look like larger thread. If you place the new nut in the tom mount, with the bolt facing out, as in opposite direction of the hole its supposed to go through, can you fit tom arm in the mount, and does it look everything minus the hole size for the bolt lines up? If so you could just drill out the bolt hole in the tom mount. Those ones on ebay are same size as mine, and you can get the stainless acorn nuts to dress them up. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083Y1YHYN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are 2 "ears" inside the mount that prevent the eye bolt from turning. The new eye is way too wide to fit in there and the thread part will not fit through the hole.

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into taking it to a machinist in town. Maybe he can thin the new one out, widen the hole for the threads. I DID grease the threads and clean out the eye and it holds fine but I don't trust it for the long term.

Mount and Eyebolt 1.jpg
Mount and Eyebolt 3.jpg

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’m sure a shop could modify it in short order. I’d be happy do it if you want to stop by , Southern CT 30 m East of NYC

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m sure a shop could modify it in short order. I’d be happy do it if you want to stop by , Southern CT 30 m East of NYC
Well, I really appreciate the offer. This machinist is 10 minutes away so I’m gonna see what happens.

pjmariner

Reaction score
Always looking for an excuse to buy more tools, If I didn't already have a bench grinder and unlimited supply of drills and drill bits I would buy them to modify those mounts/bolts. Drilling the hole will only take a second, the casting on most drum hardware is relatively soft. You could easily/quickly slim down the heads of those bolts on a bench grinder. I have grinding wheel and a buffing wheel on my 8" bench grinder and its one of the most used tools in my shop, cant imagine not having one. I have rationalized an untold amount of tool purchases because "I did it myself" :)

Pbrusseau

Reaction score
So you know these old L style tom arms that Ludwig used from the 60s up into the 80s. Tighten the hex nut as hard as I can, put the tom on the L arm and it just rotates (slowly)down. I know we used to have tricks, different washers etc... But has anyone figured out how to keep that knurled L arm for turning when you put weight onto it?? I am minutes away from just putting a RIMS on it and stick it on a cymbal stand.:(
I just made shims out of a beer can and put them in as I slid the Tom on. The hole seams to be keyholed.so you could measure it and buy a copper tube that fits and cut it in half to make a shim that won’t hurt the steel an the arm. Beer can shims work. You can use cola can if you can’t have beer lol

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just made shims out of a beer can and put them in as I slid the Tom on. The hole seams to be keyholed.so you could measure it and buy a copper tube that fits and cut it in half to make a shim that won’t hurt the steel an the arm. Beer can shims work. You can use cola can if you can’t have beer lol
That's great, how creative!

Adamr1972

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know that this is a very old thread but I’ve recently encountered what I think is the same issue as kookel with my rack tom - the thread on the eye bolt is completely stripped. Ideally, I’d like to be able to replace it. Any leads on obtaining this piece of hardware? I’m in Montreal, Canada. Thanks!

Attachments

• 625AFE18-EBCD-4E27-965B-7340A24CF76C.jpeg
    625AFE18-EBCD-4E27-965B-7340A24CF76C.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 912007A7-7DAB-46C1-A944-487E8CA34AD4.jpeg
    912007A7-7DAB-46C1-A944-487E8CA34AD4.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 19

becken

Reaction score
My 1965 kit has an "L" arm with gnurled, not splined finish. Been playing out with them since 1965, tom mount & all components work perfect. I have also used a snare stand from time to time. Keep them clean and you should have no problems.

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know that this is a very old thread but I’ve recently encountered what I think is the same issue as kookel with my rack tom - the thread on the eye bolt is completely stripped. Ideally, I’d like to be able to replace it. Any leads on obtaining this piece of hardware? I’m in Montreal, Canada. Thanks!
My issue was the width of the eyebolt, where it fits inside the mount. It looks like you have a stripped threads issue? I would buy a tap and re-tap the threads. It’s worth a try so you can at least keep that part original if that’s your goal.

Adamr1972

Reaction score
My 1965 kit has an "L" arm with gnurled, not splined finish. Been playing out with them since 1965, tom mount & all components work perfect. I have also used a snare stand from time to time. Keep them clean and you should have no problems.

My issue was the width of the eyebolt, where it fits inside the mount. It looks like you have a stripped threads issue? I would buy a tap and re-tap the threads. It’s worth a try so you can at least keep that part original if that’s your goal.
Thanks for that suggestion - that’s exactly the issue. I’ve no idea how to re-tap the threads that but I’m sure I could research it. Thanks again.

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that suggestion - that’s exactly the issue. I’ve no idea how to re-tap the threads that but I’m sure I could research it. Thanks again.
No problem! A tap is really just a reverse threaded round gadget, female. It’s kind of like you’re going to screw it on to that shaft and it will re-make the threads.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You would need a die, not a tap to fix the threads on the eyebolt but chances are there is too much metal gone to make a good repair. Ludwig still sells the updated bracket with a larger wingnut that works well and fits the same holes. You might be able to reuse the old style wingnut instead of the modern one but the wider one is nice (edit- no dice old is 1/4-20 shaft new is 5/16)

New part number is p1216d if you can live with the bigger wingnut
B787FF06-B386-42BF-8B2A-F5ED8ECE22AB.jpeg

Last edited:

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You would need a die, not a tap to fix the threads on the eyebolt but chances are there is too much metal gone to make a good repair. Ludwig still sells the updated bracket with a larger wingnut that works well and fits the same holes. You might be able to reuse the old style wingnut instead of the modern one but the wider one is nice (edit- no dice old is 1/4-20 shaft new is 5/16)

New part number is p1216d if you can live with the bigger wingnut View attachment 563949
This!
Picture says that's beyond cutting new threads of the same size.
A new casting with eyebolt and fasteners is the ticket. You'll be glad you did.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, the new bracket is usually less than $20, solves the problem, and looks pretty much the same.

Ludwig themselves ditched using a wing nut there fairly early on, finding out it was nearly impossible to get it tight enough with your fingers. They went to the thin wall nut that worked with the little wrench they included with the set. The new ones with the larger T nut will work at hand tightness though as you can get more leverage plus the eyebolt is better. .

I've replaced most of these with INDe mounts on my drums but if I want the original look I'll still at least get a new mount. Stick the old one away in case someone actually cares down the road.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can't speak for the inside of this mount, but I picked this one up used and it's infinitely better. Works well, though I appreciate how it changes the vintage look a bit.

Dan
I've got the single version & am very happy with it!

Attachments

• 277578809_10225036725697558_1118192965585729408_n (1).jpg
    277578809_10225036725697558_1118192965585729408_n (1).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 11

KCJazz

Reaction score

New part number is p1216d if you can live with the bigger wingnut View attachment 563949
The one on the left must be the worst of Ludwig designs. I'm sure no one ran this by WF Ludwig.