Ludwig tom mount wing nut question

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a vintage Ludwig 8x12 tom and a 12x15 FT conversion and they have the Ludwig mounts with the hex nut. I am wondering if I can buy the new Atlas wing nuts (link below) and swap the hex nuts out? I scored a 20" bass to make a gigging kit and I'd rather not have to fiddle with hex nuts to set up the tom and FT legs. If not, any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can’t speak to the Altas wing nut however can say that I’ve used Ludwig 80’s era wing nuts in replacement of the hex.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
John, are you talking those big ones like these? I am only looking at the newer Atlas style because the cam holder is a newer one with the new design as well. This way, at least they match each other, which I know is silly!

Screenshot_20200328-214238.png

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
the Ludwig mounts were originally 1/4-20 thread and the later and current ones are 5/16-18 thread. The atlas are 8mm so they will not work.

You can still buy the Ludwig classic mount and may be able to buy just the classic wing nut either new or on ebay. This will probably be your best bet.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
My brackets may be 60's or 70's but I understand the new wing nuts are metric so they won't work....thank you all for the replies......

One more question now that I know this: will a vintage tom bracket fit onto a modern Atlas L arm? The pole is 1" so it will fit in a diamond plate mount.....Thanks!

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
John, are you talking those big ones like these? I am only looking at the newer Atlas style because the cam holder is a newer one with the new design as well. This way, at least they match each other, which I know is silly!

View attachment 433160
Sounds like you have your answer. For reference the vintage mount is a P1682 (works for tom, FT, cymbal mounts).

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
My brackets may be 60's or 70's but I understand the new wing nuts are metric so they won't work....thank you all for the replies......

One more question now that I know this: will a vintage tom bracket fit onto a modern Atlas L arm? The pole is 1" so it will fit in a diamond plate mount.....Thanks!
Only the Atlas ones are metric. The old style Classic mounts are currently 5/16-18 thread. You can just buy the current wing nuts if you have that thread. If you have the older mounts with the 1/4-20 thread, the eye bolt is completely different and the current replacement eye bolts will not fit in the mount. If that is the case you can just buy the complete classic mounts and trade them out.