Ludwig Trans badge project

andlours

Reaction score
Wow, very nice thank you for posting the photos. What is that ride cymbal, 26"?
The ride cymbal is only a 22" (Sabian Vanguard to be exact). I think the angle makes it look a bit larger than it actually is. It's also a downbeat sized kit, so maybe that makes the cymbal look bigger?

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The ride cymbal is only a 22" (Sabian Vanguard to be exact). I think the angle makes it look a bit larger than it actually is. It's also a downbeat sized kit, so maybe that makes the cymbal look bigger?
That makes sense. So do the drums have the original finish?

andlours

Reaction score
That makes sense. So do the drums have the original finish?
It is the original finish. Everything on the drums is completely stock (even including the tom reso heads). There aren't too many jet black pearl WFL/trans badge kits floating around. Apparently it wasn't too popular of a color back in the day.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the look I was going for with my Slingerlands. What do you think they used to finish this drum, back in the day?

By the way, I hope someone buys this drum. It's a beauty!

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is the look I was going for with my Slingerlands. What do you think they used to finish this drum, back in the day?

By the way, I hope someone buys this drum. It's a beauty!
I have no idea, stain and nitrocellolose lacquer?

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a snare on the way should have it by the end of the week. Its a 3 ply, eight bowtie lugs, p83 strainer. But the seller and I are wondering why it has no muffler or holes to mount one. Anyone have an idea why?
Ps, its from 1958. Jazzfest or Barret Deems.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am now thinking a dark color stain and possibly a satin finish. Looking at my Rogers kit that I just painted blue I have come to realize I wont be able to pull off the gloss black good enough. I did a satin finish on these Slingerland drums a few years ago and I do like it. I'm thinking a super dark cherry color would look good but I have a long way to go on this project and I'm sure I will change my mind again. View attachment 469902
I love the look of that set.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do my eyes deceive me or is that maple that was hiding under the paint inside?
Yes sir maple it is. I've just about have all the paint gone now. Can't wait to get the snare from you. Still have not solved the mystery of the no muffler. Maybe Mike Layton will chime in.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the look of that set.
Thanks Kevin im sure glad I held on to it, I would have missed it. The satin finish really looks great and that is the plan for this kit, only a much darker color.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a snare on the way should have it by the end of the week. Its a 3 ply, eight bowtie lugs, p83 strainer. But the seller and I are wondering why it has no muffler or holes to mount one. Anyone have an idea why?
Ps, its from 1958. Jazzfest or Barret Deems.
As far as I could tell mufflers were always extra cost items. The 1957 catalog lists a couple of snares where it is a no cost option, but none of the catalogs even up to the early 1970's list any of the wood snares having a standard tone control.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of installing a muffler, if I do I suppose it should be a ball bat with red felt?

andlours

Reaction score
Looked at the ludwig book and it should be a muffler with a 3/4" round knob.
Which of the two 3/4" knob mufflers are you gonna go with? Ludwig used two in the era and I'm not entirely sure why/when they choose one version over the other.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Which of the two 3/4" knob mufflers are you gonna go with? Ludwig used two in the era and I'm not entirely sure why/when they choose one version over the other.
I was not aware that were two. I guess it would be the most period correct. That's if I do install one, not 100% decided yet.

andlours

Reaction score
Maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself will be able to chime in, but the first photo (gold sparkle) is from a pre-serial badge 12"x 16" tenor drum. The second photo is from my black trans badge kit. Both toms and the snare have this type of muffler. I'm not entirely sure when Ludwig switched or if they used these mufflers both at the same time.

20201123_090021.jpg

20201123_090059.jpg