Ludwig Trans badge project

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Going to re veneer the 16 today. And, I have a nice 14x14 shell on the way so I won't be spraying any drums until that arrives next month. So this will end up being a 13,14,16 toms, 22 bass and 5x14 snare drum set. I'm really excited about this one, the nickel hardware is in great shape, squidart sold me a gem!

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to re veneer the 16 today. And, I have a nice 14x14 shell on the way so I won't be spraying any drums until that arrives next month. So this will end up being a 13,14,16 toms, 22 bass and 5x14 snare drum set. I'm really excited about this one, the nickel hardware is in great shape, squidart sold me a gem!
Looking forward to seeing them sprayed...and yes, Squidart helped me out in the not-so-distant past with a gem also!

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing them sprayed...and yes, Squidart helped me out in the not-so-distant past with a gem also!
Thanks, the veneer came out good.
What would we do without squidart!!!

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update, my 14" shell is done and ready to ship. So hopefully I can wrap this up in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I can't wait to play this one!
I applaud you for working through this project with its highs and lows...it was daunting but you did it ...with striking results!

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I applaud you for working through this project with its highs and lows...it was daunting but you did it ...with striking results!
Thank you! I like challenging projects, I have tackeld much much worse. I will post a picture of "the family " when the 14 arrives.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Update, my 14" shell is done and ready to ship. So hopefully I can wrap this up in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I can't wait to play this one!
Good news Jeff, hopefully that means my 14x18 shell will also be shipping soon.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He did
Good news Jeff, hopefully that means my 14x18 shell will also be shipping soon.
He did say he finished mine and a few other ones. Said he would ship on Thursday.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I like challenging projects, I have tackeld much much worse. I will post a picture of "the family " when the 14 arrives.
Your welcome! What you are doing here is probably more than I can handle in a restoration ; I just restored a 67 OBP 22" bass drum (in Vintage Venue) but it was just a repaint really and adding Rogers mounts ; looking forward to seeing your finished project.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
He did
He did say he finished mine and a few other ones. Said he would ship on Thursday.
Last I contacted him he said he was going to get my shell "and your buddy's 14x14 done before the end of February" . So not quite but hopefully soon. I did tell him I was in no rush.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last I contacted him he said he was going to get my shell "and your buddy's 14x14 done before the end of February" . So not quite but hopefully soon. I did tell him I was in no rush.
Take it from a contractor, never tell someone your not in a hurry, lol.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No black, I'm not good enough to pull it off. Someday I would like to try black on a small cheepo kit just to see if I can do it but not this kit, it is too special to me. It will look nice with my color choice. Hope to get to it in a couple of weeks.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
JC: unbelievable job getting those shells to look like that!!

I have to say this: To me, these are screaming for a deep varnish, natural finish then a high gloss clear coat. I think they would look spectacular that way.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JC: unbelievable job getting those shells to look like that!!

I have to say this: To me, these are screaming for a deep varnish, natural finish then a high gloss clear coat. I think they would look spectacular that way.
I agree, they would look good natural. I have done a kit like that already so I'm going dark mahogany color, kinda. The shells will be dyed with a cherry dye, then a stain called red wine that was developed for a customer years ago for a mantle. This will help the shells be uniform in color, they are slightly different looking in the raw.
Then I'm going with a satin lacquer, the stuff I spray my cabinets with. So they will have a bullet proof finish. I did a satin finish on some Slingerlands years ago and it looks great. So with the nickel hardware, the dark satin finish is going to be great.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
JC: Wow. You really know your stains! I agree, your choice is going to look amazing. Good luck!! love those baby blue drums you did awhile back!