Ludwig Trans badge ....

Paul G

Reaction score
Hello to all and Happy holidays.

I am usually under the name Hindadoon but I can't get into that account for the moment due to a lost password...

At any rate I have a trans badge Ludwig drum that I've owned for many years. I purchased this snare through the forum years ago and know it to be the real deal so to speak.

However, I've gotten a feeding frenzy of naysayers regarding the legitimacy of my drum due to a grommet that most of us have not seen too often from this era.

I would love for Bun , Mike, Mike C or anyone with correct information so I can put this to rest in my own mind.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Garisto AKA Hindadoon

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had the same transitional drum a while back and in the same condition. The grommet on the inside had a similar treatment, but seems that I am remembering they used washers. Looks right to me.

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul G, In our recent communication I mistakenly thought you were referring to the large washer that is sometimes seen as a spacer in Ludwig metal shell drums of this period. Here are close ups of a Ludwig Transition Badge snare that I got over 20 years ago, from a well respected Dr. in Pennsylvania.

Attachments

Paul G

Reaction score
Excellent, so there we have it! Am I seeing correctly and can safely say these grommets are the same? Thanks Speedy.

Paul G

Reaction score
Thank you for posting everyone. I very much appreciate your responses. I can rest more easily in knowing what I thought I already knew. Be well.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting everyone. I very much appreciate your responses. I can rest more easily in knowing what I thought I already knew. Be well.
Screenshot_20211124-155110_Chrome.jpg
Please post a closer picture or 2 of the front flange of the grommet. This is the only one from your facebook posts (blown up). It was the front flange of the grommet that most, including I, find suspect

Last edited:

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It also looks like the lugs may be replated, as some of the corners look a little too round.

Paul- I KNOW you’re not trying to scam anyone. I think someone sold you a redone drum when you bought it. The outside of the grommet does look quite different from my TB 400 and 402, and any other TB COB supers I’ve seen. I will take a closeup shot of one of my drums for an interior shot of the grommet. Yours is a bit different than an original one. Again- not trying to insinuate you’re trying to fool anyone.

Last edited:

Paul G

Reaction score
It also looks like the lugs may be replated, as some of the corners look a little too round.

Paul- I KNOW you’re not trying to scam anyone. I think someone sold you a redone drum when you bought it. The outside of the grommet does look quite different from my TB 400 and 402, and any other TB COB supers I’ve seen. I will take a closeup shot of one of my drums for an interior shot of the grommet. Yours is a bit different than an original one. Again- not trying to insinuate you’re trying to fool anyone.
Bijan, thanks for your input. No offense taken at all. Although I've not been here in a long time, I've always been impressed by most members willingness to answering questions with examples... Much appreciated.
In handling the drum I'm not seeing any signs of re-plating...But just to be sure I'll pop a lug or two off and have a look at those.
Regarding the grommet, yes, please if you have the time...I believe I'm seeing more than one profile of grommet on the TB drums posted above ... I can't quite zoom in enough and the angle of the shots make it difficult.
Thanks again for your time.
PG

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Paul- I have owned 4 of the Trans badge Supers. Three of mine had the huge washer inside. The one that I own right now does not have the large washer shown in my pic. I will try to get a better look at it to inspect. The pic that Rotarded posted with
interior grommet my trans super.jpg
the front of the grommet concerns me as well.

Mike

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what year that drum is , Never seen the throw off one panel to the right and no muffler to the left. (of badge) Maybe earlier than '59? Grommet looks highly polished/ buffed

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a little slow I admit but I just realized I was looking at this whole thread wrong but on the other hand I did not think drums were male or female but I thought it was about a drum “trans” gendering. I apologize.