Ludwig Transition Badge 12/14/18

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been spotted, but it just caught my eye. Very pretty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322289736190

Apart from the inability of the seller to recognize that two of the three interiors are Mahogany, it looks to me like that 18" bass drum is the 12" deep (Jazzette and Gold Coast) version. I've not seen one of those this early before. I judge the depth of Ludwig 18" bass drums as 12" deep or 14" deep by comparing the distance between the lugs. If the distance seems like

claw to inner end of lug = 1/3, inner end of lug to other inner end of lug = 1/3, inner end of lug to claw = 1/3

then its a 12" deep shell. If the gap in the middle is visually larger than 1/3 then its a 14" deep shell. That's the extra two inches talking. This method works "pretty well" although it can be tricky when there isn't a nice vertical shot, or distortion from a wide angle lens changes the segment lengths. Here's my 12" deep shell (with a little lens distortion) to help get your eye in. I've also put in the width of the rail mount base as another way to judge:

So what do you think about the eBay one?

Am I seeing things? And have some of you seen 12" deep 18" bass drums going back this far and I'm just not aware of them?

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Thanks Osahead. Now that you mention it I seem to remember the initials painted on the bass drum. If we do a search we'll probably discover that I posted in a thread about it when it was discussed previously. Getting old and forgetful. But perhaps not seeing things. :happy11:

Randy73

Reaction score
That kit was previously owned by me. The bass drum has in fact been cut down to roughly 13" in depth at some point in it's life. I assumed at the time that It may have had some serious edge damage and was cut down to make it playable again. I did disclose the info when I sold the kit so not sure why it isn't being disclosed now. Very cool kit though.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cut down shell and x holes . Was most likely originally something else besides a bass drum.
Too much money for a crap shoot.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
jptrickster said:
Cut down shell and x holes . Was most likely originally something else besides a bass drum.
Yeah maybe so... but... when was the last time you ever seen a transition badge Ludwig 12x8 & 14X14 toms... you don't... so that's the main focus IMO and I agree it would have been a extra "cherry on the top" if that 18" drum was without any issues.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sure, it's rare to see those drums.
Even so that changes nothing about the bass drum as being suspect and unoriginal.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Osahead2 said:
Yeah maybe so... but... when was the last time you ever seen a transition badge Ludwig 12x8 & 14X14 toms... you don't... so that's the main focus IMO and I agree it would have been a extra "cherry on the top" if that 18" drum was without any issues.
I have seen trans badge 12" and 14" toms before but as you mention they are quite rare! Sill a lot of money without knowing all the details on the bass drum. Does anyone remember what the earliest jazzette set was that has been found? 1965? 1966? The 1967(1966) Catalog is the first mention correct?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Anthony, I was watching the kit and saw it sell then it was reposted so I asked the buyer - that is what he told me, but after reading what others state above, good point.....

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
Imagine you just dropped $2500 this sweet little kit shows up and then you discover a 13x18 bass drum with a row of extra lug holes. (And no mention in the auction script)
This is the exact moment my sheeet would become totally unglued.

Randy73

Reaction score
I have to agree with jptrickster. I would be very upset to find that after spending that kind of money. If the seller is the same guy that I sold them to, I am surprised that he wouldn't include that information because he was definitely made aware by me when he bought them.