Ludwig Transition Badge Oyster Pink Pearl "Jazz Festival"

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just picked up this snare. It is a Ludwig transition badge with 8 lugs. I'm not sure if this model was called the Jazz Festival at that time or not.

I struggle with identifying the color of wraps on these old drums. Can you guys help me out with what the wrap is please?
20190922_105127.jpg

It is raining out today so I couldn't really put the snare in good spot as far as lighting and background.

It has not been shined up yet.

Thanks.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Here are a few more picks.

Unfortunately, it is missing the muffler so I'll need to find one.

There is a little crust on the hardware, mainly the throw off but I haven't tried to clean it.

The hoops are COB

The interior is beautiful!

20190922_122859.jpg
20190922_122920.jpg
20190922_123001.jpg
20190922_123112.jpg

Gunnellett

Reaction score
So the next obvious question guys:

With the correct muffler and cleaned up, what is a rough value range for this snare?

I did some looking around and couldn't find one to compare it to.

Thanks,
Wes

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm probably wrong, but wasn't this called the Barret Deems model?
Yes it is. Or maybe it isn't. I've got one of these in blue/silver duco (my favorite snare, BTW) and I showed it here on the forum years ago. I wasn't sure whether it was a JF or BD. I think it was MLayton who told me this, but assuming it's a '59 then it apparently showed up as both Jazz Festival AND Barrett Deems depending on the catalog you looked at that year. These drums can be interesting how they use old parts along with the new. Mine has a Ludwig P83 strainer and a WFL butt. Anyway it could be one of the very first Jazz Festivals. Or very last Barrett Deems. or something in between.
When somebody asks I call mine a "Barrett Deems model - the first of the Jazz Festivals".

Regardless, those are some of the best playing and sounding snare drums I've ever experienced. There's just something about those mahogany shells and COB hoops with whatever magic Ludwig had going there at the time.

Congrats, Gunnellet - that's a beautiful snare drum you've got there.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Wow that is a beauty! Is it date stamped inside? Just curious. Bun E has been collecting Oyster Pink Pearl for some time and I'll bet he could give you an accurate value on this drum.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe Bun E. put a value of $1500-2k on the other forum.
Bun E. is usually spot on with value.
He gave a price of a set I was selling and was right on. Got the price he said it was worth.
Beautiful and don't like to say it but "rare".

Wayne

Latest posts