Ludwig vintage 3 ply vs Modern Classic Maple

712drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Speaking of just bass drums what has more low end? 3 ply vintage Ludwig with re-rings or modern classic maple? I have owned both but not at the same time.
(Assuming same size for this)

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about this the other day. I bought a used 6-ply thermogloss set in '83, sold it ~ '03. That kick had plenty of boom, and I had no complaints. I've played some 3-ply orphan toms, but never a bass.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Speaking of just bass drums what has more low end? 3 ply vintage Ludwig with re-rings or modern classic maple? I have owned both but not at the same time.
(Assuming same size for this)
I have demo’d 14x24’s side by side. I can’t say one had more low end, but the LM had very slightly mellower overtones than the CM, which is itself a bit mellow for a maple drum. JMO!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have demo’d 14x24’s side by side. I can’t say one had more low end, but the LM had very slightly mellower overtones than the CM, which is itself a bit mellow for a maple drum. JMO!
I would expect the vintage 3-ply, with re-rings and a more shallow bearing edge, to be as member Matched Gripper says.

-Mark

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vintage 3 ply drums with full round over edges allow the sound to emanate out of the drum, whereas modern drums, I think the classics are 7ply with much sharper edges, tend to project the sound out of the end of the drum as you push the air. Way more attack generally.

At least that's how I hear it

Low end? I don't know. Depends on the head, the room, the tuning...whether you think 'low end' is a dull thud or a warm boom. So many variables...

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
If I was forced to bet on it, I'd guess that CM bass drums will have more low end. Not that vintage drums can't have low end, but the problem with older drums is, they aren't quite as consistent and can be kind of a crapshoot.

Old, dry wood, possible ply separation, bearing edge issues, or warping of the shell, not to mention they weren't constructed with the same level of precision that modern drums are constructed with. Generally speaking, vintage drums with any of these quirks are more likely to have less low end IMO. I'm sure there's plenty of exceptions though.

If you already have a Classic Maple, I'd stick with that and just play around with different head combinations. That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

712drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I actually like the tone I have now but added a 60’s three ply floor tom and now thinking of just moving everything back to 3 ply again. Something about that tone. :). Last time I used a Ludwig 3 ply I had almost no front head yrs ago. :) I don’t play that way now.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
... If you already have a Classic Maple, I'd stick with that and just play around with different head combinations. That's my 2 cents.
This. Right. Here. If you want more low end out of a Classic Maple bass drum fit it with a Remo Fiberskyn PS3 batter head and a Fiberskyn reso head (muffled to your taste).