header.nohb.html

Ludwig: was/is it a snare or a tom?

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving all!

Just purchased a snare, no pics yet because it has not been delivered.

But here is the interesting theory….

In late 1969 through 1970, Ludwig only made three versions of a 10”x14” wooden drum:
1- double headed tom 6 large classic lugs
2- concert tom 8 small classic lugs
3- marching snare 8 small classic lugs, Mach lugs, or club date style
4- marching tenor with above lugs

This drum is 10”x14”, has 8 small classic lugs, throw off, butt plate, muffler above the badge, clear interior, original finish, and b/o badge without the trademark circled “R”.

There is a p1216 mount……. It is centered between the lugs, which for toms, Ludwig places it closer to the top, same distance on all toms from the bearing edge down.

So…….. is it a tom converted to a snare, or a snare converted to a tom?

I whole heartedly believe it “is” a marching snare with a mount added.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Marching drums typically had the small classic lugs.

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Marching drums typically had the small classic lugs.
Thank you for catching my error! I was typing this on my phone and had to stop and restart several times lol!

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention, it is some sort of weird purple, orange, and yellow swirl finish...

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The 1216 brackets were centered on the drum shells prior to the power tom era. That's when they started mounting them a set distance from the top.

I have a 12x15 KB drum that is similar to what you're describing. It has the tom bracket and no extra holes. I guess it could have been a tenor drum that had the bracket added but the seller said it had been special ordered to use as a tom back when that size was not offered as a mounted tom size. Is that true? No way I'll ever know for sure. It has the attributes of a marching drum but I suppose that would be the only way to get that size as a tom at the time.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score

Attachments

• drums1.jpg
    drums1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 17

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So............plot thickens.........
In 1969-1970, b/o badge in the 8xx,xxx range, you could get the 10x14 marcher 970/970P, the concert tom 463/463P, but the double headed tom 946L/P was not cataloged. But..... they are out there.

I am even more in the marching snare turned tom tom camp.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
When they did introduce a 10x14 (and 12x15) "tom" they had the large lugs on them. I think that was around 1970.

Isn't the Pro Beat set in the 71 catalog? That had a 10x14 tom included.

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When they did introduce a 10x14 (and 12x15) "tom" they had the large lugs on them. I think that was around 1970.

Isn't the Pro Beat set in the 71 catalog? That had a 10x14 tom included.
Ah yes, in bowling ball blue oyster. A buddy of mine has a twin to that kit, and his 14 has the mount closer to the top.

I cannot wait to get this drum!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ah yes, in bowling ball blue oyster. A buddy of mine has a twin to that kit, and his 14 has the mount closer to the top.
Must have had to do with the depth. 12 & 13 toms have the brackets centered but there is only an inch difference in depth so it didn't matter. I have a 6 ply 10x14 from 1980 and the bracket is centered on it. Hmmm? Maybe it was just a matter of whomever was drilling that day. :)

Concert tom clips were a set distance from the top. But then that stand design leaves no room for adjustment.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I keep clicking on the thread hoping the pictures have been posted!

Over the years I have seen 2 Orange Mod 12x15 marching snares. One was orange mod/black/orange mod and the other was orange mod/silver sparkle/orange mod. My original thought was this must have been one interesting band director that ordered these drums, but then I realized orange is a pretty popular school color.

At the distances you view a marching band- most people probably didn't even realize there was purple mixed in with the orange. Gold Sparkle would also work, but maybe these guys figured orange was orange....

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And.......
It was supposed to be here today, before 2:00pm. The delivery is delayed....... "FedEx is experiencing higher than normal deliveries, and weather issues...."
The drum is coming from California to Illinois, left November 26, has gone all over California, then to Arizona, and is currently in New Mexico.
Argh!
But it is mod orange! I promise to take tons of pictures and a video for those viewers that are getting impatient lol!

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Turn off the Jeopardy Theme music DFO’ers! It is in Illinois and out for delivery!!!!!!!!

A real mod orange drum!!!!!!!