Ludwig Weather Master 14" Heads - Price Increase

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all! There are lots of us that love Ludwig's Weather Master heads. It wasn't too long ago that Ludwig made the decision to stop production of these heads, except for the 14" heads for snare drums. Yay! Their snare-side head is among the best. Sadly, I've noticed that prices for these heads have been going up in price. I'm in the process of getting a custom snare drum ready for sale, with all Ludwig parts except for the hoops and shell. I decided to install a new set of Weather Master heads and thought I check out my "go to" company, Casio/Interstate Music. Their prices are:

Medium Coated @ $23.58 (LW3314)
Clear snare-side 2 $19.28 (C1114)

After some internet searching for a better price, I stumbled onto Jet.com. They offer the Medium Coated for $12.76 and the snare-side for $15.09

Jet.com even offers free shipping on orders over $35. The heads came to $27.05, so I added a bottle of my favorite Burt's Bee Body Wash for $7.99, bringing my pre-tax total to $35.84! Not a bad deal!

My real surprise came when I discovered that the heads shipped directly from Interstate Music! I'm not sure how Jet.com com does this, but it sure was a real surprise! For reference, these same heads will cost you $42.86 from Interstate, not including shipping, which is only free on orders over $99!

Just wanted to share this info with anyone who is looking for these heads and also noticed the price increase!

-Mark

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Medium Coated @ $23.58 (LW3314)
Clear snare-side 2 $19.28 (C1114)
LOL, I don't know about you guys but it'll be a cold day in hell before I pay 20 bucks for a 14" snare head top OR bottom. Fortunately I bought a bulk supply of various drumheads 6 or 8 years ago when petroleum products started going way up. I saw the "handwriting on the wall" and began ordering any suitable drumhead stock I could find on a sale, blowout or closeout because I knew this was eventually coming...and it's here now. The era of 20 dollar snare sides.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a nice supply of Remo and Evans 14" heads, batter and snare-side, and glad I got them when I did. There are always good deals around if you look, but not so much for the Weather Master heads.

-Mark

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly, the Weathermaster's sound and feel so good on the Acro's that I would probably pay whatever they charge for it. It's not something you change everyday anyways.
About Cascio selling thru Jet, I've noticed this with a lot of companies now. You buy straight from them and sometimes it's more expensive than buying from them thru another venue. I bought something not to long ago from Cascio and it had free shipping thru Reverb. It also happened to me with Sam Ash. On eBay Sam Ash listed it for less with free shipping. Now days you just have to research!

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
LOL, I don't know about you guys but it'll be a cold day in hell before I pay 20 bucks for a 14" snare head top OR bottom. Fortunately I bought a bulk supply of various drumheads 6 or 8 years ago when petroleum products started going way up. I saw the "handwriting on the wall" and began ordering any suitable drumhead stock I could find on a sale, blowout or closeout because I knew this was eventually coming...and it's here now. The era of 20 dollar snare sides.
Yep.
Loaded up on 13 and 14" Ludwig heads when the news came out that they were switching to Remo. I have a pile of coated and snare sides.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has anyone done a shootout with the new Remos? I'm a fan of the Ludwig heads, too.

Dan

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I stocked up on WM heads back when they made the announcement to stop making them. I still have 6 batter heads and two resorts heads. Glad I got them when I did.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was at my local mom and pop store today unfortunately they’re closing shop in June the owner brought down a tall stack of 14’s from upstairs and is selling them for 9.99. Lvs me some low collar WM. I grabbed a few. I may go back and grab the lot before there gone!
E8E9491B-7C39-41A9-AA96-4091EC4599CA.jpeg

Drumceet

Reaction score
Due to this thread I went ahead and ordered a Weather Master for my Ludwig Supra 402. All I can say is wowzers!

I’ve always used Remo or Evans, and although the vintage emperor sounds really nice on the Supra, the thinner Weather Master is really something else. It’s tamed the drum and I don’t even have to muffle anymore. Also I’m getting incredible bounce off this head, I’m floored.

I got it off Amazon for $21 Canadian, so I’m going to stock up on these. I can’t believe people were swapping these off when buying new kits and treating them like crap stock heads?

FCB21B70-6452-4D4C-BE75-8B612D97CD5B.jpeg

KevinD

Reaction score
Was at Alto Music in Middletown NY on Fri. Picked up two 14" Ludwig WM meds for about $15 each. Price has increased a bit, at one point last year they were priced at "blow out" levels because they figured that they would not be able to get any more stock. But they seem to be part of their normal stock again. They were not sure if Ludwig is still making them or if there is a big reserve out there. No silver dots though..

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe Remo took over the heads making for ludwig.
Silver Dot bass heads are back! (made by Remo) Not sure about the rest of the sizes. I just bought a ludwig nos original Silver dot 22 on Reverb.

Drumceet

Reaction score
Now I’ve got to get the Ludwig C1114 Weather Master 14-Inch Clear X-Thin Bottom Snare Side Resonant Drumhead. Let’s see what that does to my sound.

I’m loving this new skin, it brings out the dry nature of this snare, as the shell is hammered. It’s crisp and bright, with excellent attack.

Not sure if it’s the Ludwig head or the thin design? I wonder if I would get the same results with a thin Remo head. Now I get why some players never put a 2 ply head on their snares, I don’t think I could ever go back.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drumceet, the Ludwig xtra thin snare side is .003, same as a Remo ambassador snare side. If you want to go thinner, you'll have to go with Remo or Evans .002.

Drumceet

Reaction score
I’ve got an ambassador clear on there now, I’d like to try the hazy.