Ludwig Weather Master snare side on a 6.5 Black Beauty

*Shane*

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m new here and I have a question about my new Ludwig Black Beauty 6.5. I expected to replace the snare side head as soon as i received it but the stock Ludwig snare side (and wires) actually sound and feel really great.

So with that said, are any of you guys using different snare side head with a 6.5 BB? Am I missing out on something better? Is the great sound I’m getting only from behind my drums I wonder?

I considered my usual Ambassador hazy snare side but at the moment I’m probably gonna leave it alone. I did throw a coated Ambassador in the batter side. BTW, this snare is amazing!

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Shane. I have that stock reso head on my 6.5 with an Ambassador X batter.

Your post coincides with me having pulled the drum out for the first time in months this morning to play with the tuning as I’ve been toying with running some new heads.

My conclusion after about 45 minutes? I’m leaving the drum alone.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While some factory heads with company logo are sub-par, this is mostly on lower to mid level lines. Ludwig heads (on pro drums, can't comment on lower lines) are high quality.
Btw, their nomenclature can be misleading: Heavy = standard batter strength (10mil.), Extrathin = standard snare side strength (3mil).

*Shane*

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the insightful replies! This seems like a great forum.

The stock Ludwig WM head is staying and I ordered another new one for backup.

I hate being so new to the BB but I’m getting the best tone / feel with the reso cranked up to around A, maybe A#. The Batter head can go up or down from there depending on the gig. However, What I really notice is that the BB has a tremendous tuning range. Does this sound close to being right for others?

I don’t use a dial or tune bot. I only use my ears and a guitar to reference.

varatrodder

Reaction score
Don’t change that head! The Ludwig head is the best snare side head out there! I stock up on them whenever I can and put them on all my snares.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another bug fan of the Ludwig thin snare side head . Don’t replace it they are excellent . What you may want to replace is the stock wires with a set of Canopus Vintage wires . Forum member Eyedrum (Mike) suggested I try these wires and I took his advice and buy an I glad I did . The improvement in sound was very noticeable . It made a great snare even greater .
FYI The Remo CS batter head ( preferably the white dot model) is perfect for these snare drums .

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And, the Ludwig WeatherMaster snare-side head is almost a requirement if you want your Super-Sensitive mechanism to work properly!

-Mark

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The previous owner of my 6.5 BB 42 strand wires on it. Sometimes I toy with changing those but I’m undecided.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You really don’t have to change anything on a pro Ludwig snare. Play as is and have fun.
Not necessarily, but I found it made quite a difference to remove the rubber gaskets and change form plastic strap to cord on the wires.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m getting the best tone / feel with the reso cranked up to around A, maybe A#.
... Does this sound close to being right for others?

I don’t use a dial or tune bot. I only use my ears and a guitar to reference.
A or A# is very tight. The head will stretch over time in my experience at that kind of tension. You'll have to re-tension on a regular basis, and finally it will bottom out. I keep my (14" 3mil) snare side heads at a G, hardly any re-tensioning needed.

*Shane*

Reaction score
A or A# is very tight. The head will stretch over time in my experience at that kind of tension. You'll have to re-tension on a regular basis, and finally it will bottom out. I keep my (14" 3mil) snare side heads at a G, hardly any re-tensioning needed.
This is good to know. I probably need to back off the Ludwig reso a bit but I’m sure I’ve stretched it out at this point. Glad I’m still able to find them for $20 online.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is good to know. I probably need to back off the Ludwig reso a bit but I’m sure I’ve stretched it out at this point. Glad I’m still able to find them for $20 online.
It should be fine if you back it off a bit. if it sounds good, no need to ditch it. With wires however, my experience is they get out of shape from over-tensioning them just once.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
One more vote for the Ludwig snare side - best one out there. Put one on my Pork Pie (Black Friday $99Special) along with a WeatherMaster Medium on top, and it really made a difference.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Shane!
Weather Master's top & bottom for all Ludwig metal snares. It's as if they were built just for those snares. Don't change!