Ludwig White Interior Question

Brian of Niles

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Happy Sunday

Quick question for you vintage Ludwig drummers.

Have you ever seen an interior of a ludwig snare that has white paint over the screws for the lugs and back of the grommet. I bought a mid 60's kit from the original owner and was surprised to see this on the snare. My first thoughts were that it was repainted white on the inside, but then I saw a penciled in initials under the grommet hole. I also don't think the original and only owner repainted them. He did not use them very much and they are all in excellent shape. It still has the original heads and snare wires that were in good shape. He may have never even had the heads off of the drum before. I was also keeping in mind that this snare dates to the era when Ludwig was letting them fly out the door and trying to keep up with the demands. What are your experiences or thoughts?

Thanks Gang -Brian

drumaniac

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not sure if it is original or not all I can add is that I have never seen one like that.

allspine

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have come across several Ludwigs that had the internal hardware painted white. A couple still had the date stamp intact. They looked factory original.

homeby5

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have come across several Ludwigs that had the internal hardware painted white. A couple still had the date stamp intact. They looked factory original.
Ditto :icon_smile: As a matter of fact I think I own one with the stamp. I'll go check later.

Ok, I checked and here's some pics from a '65 snare and tom stamped with painted hardware. These were taken before they were restored.
View attachment 113074
View attachment 113075

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
also seen a few here that should have been original that had the screw painted. didnt pay attention to the grommet though.

mike

ludwignut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of the time I have seen the Ludwig drums with the screws and washers that have become corroded which gives the appearance that they were painted.

Rob

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had a few with paint slopped on the grommet.
Here's a jfest I recently sold...

Here's anutter one....on both drums it looks like they were touching up the fine hack work around the grommett hole....

Brian of Niles

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Lugnut at first I was checking if it was corroded but it is painted for sure. I had a feeling it was original to the drum, out of all the 60's Ludwig drums I have owned, this is the first one with painted on screws. It is some bad quality control, but on the up side it proves that the drum has never been disassembled, and parts switched out. It also prevented the internal screws from corroding. Thats my positive vintage drum thinking in this situation. :icon_smile:

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Lugnut at first I was checking if it was corroded but it is painted for sure. I had a feeling it was original to the drum, out of all the 60's Ludwig drums I have owned, this is the first one with painted on screws. It is some bad quality control, but on the up side it proves that the drum has never been disassembled, and parts switched out. It also prevented the internal screws from corroding. Thats my positive vintage drum thinking in this situation. :icon_smile:
Did you take a screw off to check if there's paint underneath?

Latest posts