Ludwig Wraps Thickness and effect on Sound/Durability

BRicca

Reaction score
I'm in the process of ordering a Classic Maple Downbeat kit and was informed by Ludwig that their Champange Sparkle wrap is no longer available. They do however still offer "Shampane Sparkle" which they said is thinner. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with the Shampane and what effect a thinner wrap might have sonically and or durability-wise if any. I was told that were both still Delmar. Any info is much appreciated!

-Bill

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
You MAY be able to tell a SLIGHT difference in sound but probably not, I would think the wrap would be just as durable within reason. On the plus side I would think heads would fit better with a thinner wrap which might open up the sound a little, but again all very slight.

BRicca

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Aside from a couple snares, all my kits are satins or lacquers and I am in total agreement on the "more wood the better". With this Ludwig kit I thought I might try something different and get a finish that can take a few dings here are there and not show it as much. This Shampane simply looks like a noticeably darker version of the Champagne.

IMG_1275.JPG

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Aside from a couple snares, all my kits are satins or lacquers and I am in total agreement on the "more wood the better". With this Ludwig kit I thought I might try something different and get a finish that can take a few dings here are there and not show it as much. This Shampane simply looks like a noticeably darker version of the Champagne.

View attachment 392298
It looks more like the original Champagne of the 60's and I think will be a great choice! Obviously post pictures when/if you get them!

BRicca

Reaction score
Thank you Blueshadow! I will absolutely post some pics when I get them. Looking like 8-10 weeks average wait time on these shells.

-Bill

Latest posts