Ludwigs: 66' Keystone & 71' B/O Advice

IJR

Reaction score
Years ago, my dad grabbed these Ludwigs cheap on craigslist. I really like how they sound/feel/look.

According to this guide: https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/serial-guide
1966 Bass 22x14​
1971 Tom 13x9​

I am considering selling one/both because:
  • Minimalist tendencies.
  • I know they have value.
  • They would be better better appreciated by vintage drum-heads.
  • Doesn't have Floor Tom to make a set.

I'm not dying to sell. They do add more sounds to the musical arsenal and I play them occasionally.

Questions:
  • If kept, do you think they would hold/appreciate/depreciate?
  • Any ballpark estimates of value?
  • Is there market interest for these? Does this stuff sell on craigslist?
  • Are they what I think they are?
Sorry if I'm asking FAQs or if this should be posted somewhere else.
Thanks!

Attachments

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
They are both complete and look to be total original with no real issues. Someone would absolutely be looking for these. That bass drum looks great. If I were to guess on any kind of price I might say between $400-500 on the bass drum and maybe $150-200 on the tom.

Reactions: IJR

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are orphans that were united. Their real market demand is to join up with other WMP drums of the same badge/era and shell composition/interior finish. That bass drum looks to be in great shape and potentially totally original including drum heads. And lots of demand for that one. They sell on any medium you can think of. If you went outside your region shipping takes a hefty toll (and risk) on sending out a big bass drum. Since you are contemplating selling them I would go ahead and do it. Unless you had a matching floor tom drop into your lap at a bargain price there is no benefit seeking one out to make a 3 pc. kit. The majority of buyers would lean towards a kit with matching badges/decade.....the exception being 69/70 when Ludwig was in badge transition.

I don't believe either is appreciating in value. If anything they are depreciating in value as more and more vintage kits are being unloaded while new ones imitating those are being made. That's a double whammy. The drum and cymbal market has depreciated across the board over the past decade or so.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Absolutely Awesome Drums!

If you do a recent "Sold" search on Reverb you will similar bass drums have sold in the $400 range and similar toms in the $150-$200 range. I personally love the WMP finish, but they won't bring the big bucks like some other rare colors.

Craigslist and Market place don't seem to bring as much as Reverb or eBay. However, with Reverb and eBay you have the hassle of shipping.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great drums. I have the 22" from '68 as part of a WMP set (13/16/22). I think both those drums are preferred due to WMP and condition. Is the tom maple inside or granitone? Any date stamp in either of them?

You can also search eBay for sold listings.......s/h on that tom won't be too bad but for the bass, will be a pain, but do-able.......

I think for the right seller, you could get $300 for the tom, but I checked sold eBay listings and similar ones sold for just over $200. As for the bass, I would think $500+. The hoops alone went for $100 each, and a shell for $300. With the rail consolette ($100), and condition, maybe $600-700.

Last edited:

IJR

Reaction score
Great drums. I have the 22" from '68 as part of a WMP set (13/16/22). I think both those drums are preferred due to WMP and condition. Is the tom maple inside or granitone? Any date stamp in either of them?

You can also search eBay for sold listings.......s/h on that tom won't be too bad but for the bass, will be a pain, but do-able.......

I think for the right seller, you could get $300 for the tom, but I checked sold eBay listings and similar ones sold for just over $200. As for the bass, I would think $500+. The hoops alone went for $100 each, and a shell for $300. With the rail consolette ($100), and condition, maybe $600-700.

Here's a look at the insides. Kick stamped SEP 19 1966 inside.

Attachments