Lug Design -

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
There was a thread about some Finnish drums floating round and I was intrigued by the lug design. I made changes to the Finnish basic design and came up with the lug design below. I think it would look killer on unwrapped, natural finish wood shells. Tell me what you think of my design...

The 'bar' is meant to be more than cosmetic. It holds the lugs in fixed relation to each other. With single point mount lugs when you tension the drum, it has a tendency to pull the lugs towards the head/hoop. The bar will prevent much of the flexure caused by tensioning the heads because it anchors each lug to the other one. The bar has an oval cut-out in the center to allow the shell to show through.

John

bermuda

Pro
Reaction score
It's a unique look for sure, I'd just be concerned that the bars could be easily bent during handling, or while transported in bags.

Bermuda

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Thoughtful, Bermuda. They would need hard cases for sure to protect against bad bumps. As far as bending or damaging them, I suggested aluminum for the bar to keep the weight down, but they could easily be stamped out of 1/8" stainless steel flat stock. You'd need a ball peen hammer to bend those!

Thanks for your response. Good thinkin' man!

John

pan60

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i think aluminum would be strong enough ( provided their was minimal movement between the lug anchors ).
you would have the added strength of the shell as well as the aluminum frame.

thats not to say it would not be damaged, just that it would be stronger then you might think.

also you would have to factor rather it would be cast forged or billet machined and what allow would be used.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
have you considered running the bracket INSIDE the drum?

i have been working on a similar concept, and it has all the same pratfalls as others have mentioned, so i've designated it as a vanity project for now

it was mostly to lighten hardware weight, and as a design alternative to tube lugs

Crazy 8s Drums

Reaction score
You are thinking of KUMU Drums from Finland. If you are considering marketing this drum lug design, you might bear in mind that they have patents for their stuff. He worked very hard to design his drum strategy.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
You are thinking of KUMU Drums from Finland. If you are considering marketing this drum lug design, you might bear in mind that they have patents for their stuff. He worked very hard to design his drum strategy.
Dude, I'm just a drummer who also happens to be a retired graphic artist. I drew that design for my own pleasure/entertainment. I'm not planning on marketing anything nor would I ever rip anybody off for an idea. Don't worry, it's just an intellectual exercise and purely for entertainment. If I ever did make a set of these lugs, it would be for a kit for myself, not to market it world-wide and compete with some guy in Finland. Marketing? I'm not Donald Trump. I've been known to shop at the Good-Will! LOL

John

Crazy 8s Drums

Reaction score
Well, Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie laid claim to recording all of the drum tracks of The Beatles.

You know how much a ruckus that caused?

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Man, if all you remember Bernard for is a 'fishing story' he told... you completely missed the mark with him. I (proudly) use Bernard's name because he's one of the most wonderful and creative drummers you'll ever want to hear. Later for that Beatles BS. Bernard is the man when it comes to grooving on a set of drums.

My momma used to tell me all the time... "If you don't have something nice to say about someone, it's best not to say anything at all."

Damned if she wasn't right.

Quick question - seeing as you're sitting in judgement on one of my drumming heros... have -you- EVER told a lie? Of course you have. So have I and everyone who reads this. Don't be so rough on Bernard. He's only just as human as you are. Personally, I'm able to forgive him because he's such a cool person and musician.

John ;-)

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love your lug, John. Seems like a great way to cover up the least amount of a nice drum finish with the advantages of two screws in the lug to spread out and balance the the load, especially on a snare. Thanks for sharing.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Thanks, Tom. I think I'd need a milling machine and a drill-press to manufacture that bar, neither of which I own or have any access to. I'd like to make four sets, enough to make the 2-toms, bass, & snare. I could use Ego single-point mount lugs for the foundation so the only part that would need to be 'made' would be those bars. They remind me of a Ludwig mach lug only with the connecting metal raised over the drum as opposed to flush with the shell.

Ahhh, 'pipe-dreams'...

John

Crazy 8s Drums

Reaction score
Thanks, Tom. I think I'd need a milling machine and a drill-press to manufacture that bar, neither of which I own or have any access to. I'd like to make four sets, enough to make the 2-toms, bass, & snare. I could use Ego single-point mount lugs for the foundation so the only part that would need to be 'made' would be those bars. They remind me of a Ludwig mach lug only with the connecting metal raised over the drum as opposed to flush with the shell.

Ahhh, 'pipe-dreams'...

John
...or you could just buy some drums from Kumu. Just think, you'll get the lug design you want, you'll save money in tooling, and you'll be helping out another brother. That is how this is supposed to work, bro.

Crazy 8s Drums

Reaction score
Another idea you might execute is to team up with Davezedlee. I think he is on to something with his bar-on-the-inside idea, and betwixt you both, I am certain you can find a viable product that will set you apart from the others out there. With a whole lot of work, research and reaching out to the community in a personal and honest way, you just might be able to eke out a living at it.

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that looks really cool. I would be tempted to but a very small support for the middle of the support bar to keep it from bending. I can imagine a piece that long and thin bending very easily whether it be SS or Aluminum. Sweet look though.

BTW I am a mechanical engineer so I hope my opinion has some truth to it :D

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
You bet! As a pro, your opinion carries weight. Thanks for the kind words. I wish I could actually manufacture a set. I'd put them on a set of Vintage Mahogany shells. Leave the wood natural. It would look killer. Probably sound great as well.

John

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
LOL - What I liked about the design is; it's smack in-between something that looks old and something very modern. Sci-fi lugs. I wouldn't have taken the time to draw it up if I didn't think there was something cool and quirky looking about them.

John