Lug gaskets Ludwig Legacy Mahogany

Huwman

Reaction score
I know this has been done to death on supra threads - but is it worth the effort to remove the rubber gaskets which festoon this awesome legacy mahogany kit ? I had a 90s laquered super classic with gaskets but they were rock hard (and presumably there to make up for a lack of wrap thickness) but these are soft neoprene. Has anyone actually gone down this road ?

As observant / obsessive drum folk have noticed that the Bun E. video comparing one of these modern sets to a 60s set, and had the gaskets missing..

IMG_0055.jpeg

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably the only way to know if it’s “worth it” is to try. If you remove them from one drum at first and put it back together, you can compare the before and after.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lovely kit.

From a superficial perspective, I like the way those gaskets highlight the black on the bass drum hoops.

From sonic perspective, I agree with lossforgain that it’s worth giving it a try.

Personally I’d wager things like head choice and how you physically play might have more of an impact on sound more than gaskets, but that’s just my two pence.

A lot of players have more refined ears and microphones than me.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am unreasonably obsessed with these gaskets. I hate 'em. If I were to buy a new Legacy kit I'd pay extra to have them remove the gaskets before fitting the lugs. I need to calm down.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would say there would be no difference in sound. Having owned a DW Collectors wrapped in broken glass wrap, the shell does not resonate when hit with the palm of your hand (even when fully stripped of hardware. The wrap completely absorbs the sound. So those little gaskets with their itty-bitty surface area are not doing anything to the sound of the drum when compared to the whole wrap. At least your tension rods are straight and not splayed out like a lot of Ludwig's snare drums.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would say there would be no difference in sound. Having owned a DW Collectors wrapped in broken glass wrap, the shell does not resonate when hit with the palm of your hand (even when fully stripped of hardware. The wrap completely absorbs the sound. So those little gaskets with their itty-bitty surface area are not doing anything to the sound of the drum when compared to the whole wrap. At least your tension rods are straight and not splayed out like a lot of Ludwig's snare drums.
That wrap was misapplied then. Which is something I've seen more often with DW drums than with any other high-end drum, for what it's worth. A properly glued wrap shouldn't have any difference in sound.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The wrap was fully glued and applied correctly. It's just a big damper all around the shell. The drums still sounded good. I'm not knocking wrapped drums. But anyone who thinks those tiny tiny gaskets are affecting the sound of their fully wrapped drums is kidding themselves.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drums use hoops that are slightly oversized, so the lug gaskets are needed to prevent the tension rods from splaying outward. Pay attention to this if you do try removing the gaskets.

I own a Legacy Maple kit in WMP and personally I think the black gaskets add a bit of class to the overall look of the drums.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am unreasonably obsessed with these gaskets. I hate 'em. If I were to buy a new Legacy kit I'd pay extra to have them remove the gaskets before fitting the lugs. I need to calm down.
I'm not sure if this is still the case but Steve Maxwell had Ludwig remove all lug gaskets on the tribute sets he was offering a few years ago. I was considering ordering a CM or Legacy kit in oyster black pearl (just before I acquired my 60's kit) and getting the drums without lug gaskets was an option he offered.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't bother; doesn't appear to detract...silver black silver black ... seems fine.

Last edited: