header.nohb.html

Lug Gaskets- Yes or No

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Legacy Classic kit in WMP has gaskets and I think they actually improve the way the drums look over gasket-less drums. I can't speak about whether or not they affect the sound since I haven't tried a comparison. But empirically, I can't imagine that they make any difference at all.

My LB416BT Black Beauty has tube lugs so no gaskets, but my reissue Dyna-Sonic (also WMP) does have them and again, I can't imagine they affect the drum's sound one bit.

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
My Legacy Classic kit in WMP has gaskets and I think they actually improve the way the drums look over gasket-less drums. I can't speak about whether or not they affect the sound since I haven't tried a comparison. But empirically, I can't imagine that they make any difference at all.

My LB416BT Black Beauty has tube lugs so no gaskets, but my reissue Dyna-Sonic (also WMP) does have them and again, I can't imagine they affect the drum's sound one bit.
Any brighter or in particular white finishes looks great with gaskets imo

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Am I the only loser that likes the look? :/

Imo I kind of like the idea of a softer barrier btw the metal and wood finish

Isn’t the gasket more likely to help the sound since there’s some flex and bend to if vs fixed lug on the shell?

Idk if that makes any sense
With cymbal felts, soft material makes sense - because the two parts can move. A lug however is fixed to the shell and under tension from the t-rods. For more vibration, put less mass on the shell.

kallen49

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No rubber for me,
I recently removed the tom brackets from my 1996 DW toms and the rubber gaskets were stuck onto the shells, (I replaced with Inde brackets),
took hours to remove old gasket residues,

makes me wonder what modern drums with rubber under every lug will be like in 25 years?

wood and metal won't decay (if stored properly), but rubber will degrade?
maybe rubber doesn't affect resonance much but it adds weight and reduces resonance and will be messy to replace a lug someday?

DW_96_FloorTom_lugStuck.jpg
DW-rubber-stain.jpg

m

cornelius

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Am I the only loser that likes the look? :/

Imo I kind of like the idea of a softer barrier btw the metal and wood finish

Isn’t the gasket more likely to help the sound since there’s some flex and bend to if vs fixed lug on the shell?

Idk if that makes any sense
On certain classic drums it doesn't work IMO. On a Supra with the center bead, it doesn't look right - it looks cheap. When I had Gregg Keplinger build up a drum for me, I had Jack Layton send Gregg some Ludwig bowtie lugs. I wanted a more classic look, but was a little disappointed that Gregg had to use gaskets on the lugs. The posts that go through the shell to receive the mounting screws were too long (even for a 3mm shell). The gaskets probably don't change the sound, but the drum would look a lot cleaner without them. I noticed that Ludwig has gaskets on their plastic wrapped toms - it looks weird but now I know why they used them.

If anything the gaskets will probably not help the sound, rubber would have more of a muting effect. I took these off of a Black Beauty:

gaskets2.JPG

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup! Have seen the @oriollo lugs? Polished stainless steel! No chrome!
Yes, I like these also. Light with small footprint, less surface contact. Don't know who came up with the bright idea drums need rubber gaskets on the lugs. If anything, it's a dampener.

Bought a nice TAMA Starclassic bubinga cheap on eBay a while back, one of those eBay junk shops that made you wonder how on earth did they get their hands on a bubinga Starclassic. Bought it because it was cheap. Obviously was not stored properly. Had to replace the bent throw-off, and when I took it apart to give it a good cleaning, some of the wood started to lift off with one of the rubber gaskets. But with some tender loving care, I turned it into a great snare.

Last edited:

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Very limited experience with them but the two drums I have sound neutered compared to original models of “same construction “
They make the lugs look overly fat on Ludwig drums. Sorry I have no use for them.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the look nor do I believe there is any sound difference. From a manufacturing standpoint, why spend extra money on materials and labor?