Lug locks?

M

Mongoose

What's everyone using to keep tension rods from backing out. I've been using the Tama ones. I've heard everything from vinyl washers to rubber bands.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's everyone using to keep tension rods from backing out. I've been using the Tama ones. I've heard everything from vinyl washers to rubber bands.
Drum factory direct sells the nylon washers that are a copy of the Hendrix washers. Exactly the same and much cheaper. I had them on my last kit and they worked well. Here is the link for the bag that includes 100. If you search on their website, they also sell them individual, 20 and 60 sized bags. They also come in white!

If you want to go full blown retrofit on your tension rods, you can get Tightscrews. It's a much more expensive option though. They are definitely supposed to be the best though when it comes to holding a tune:

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m using the Tama ones
F72D27B4-7072-4545-835A-4EE1822C802D.jpeg

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Drum factory direct sells the nylon washers that are a copy of the Hendrix washers. Exactly the same and much cheaper. I had them on my last kit and they worked well. Here is the link for the bag that includes 100. If you search on their website, they also sell them individual, 20 and 60 sized bags. They also come in white!

If you want to go full blown retrofit on your tension rods, you can get Tightscrews. It's a much more expensive option though. They are definitely supposed to be the best though when it comes to holding a tune:

Off topic but I have a small knock on DFD. Like the item you listed, it's "sold out".

They sell a lot of decent off-brand stuff like hoops, heads. I've ordered hoops from them before for the entire kit - they'll be "sold out" of every other size. Gah! I need some mesh heads and they sell them individually and two of the sizes I need are sold out, and a 22 metal bass hoop I need.

ok rant off, sorry

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those Tamas look good.

I got a package of 4 "Tuner fish" once, which held the tuning perfectly. I had a bit of a problem getting them off again on a 402 though.

Someone mentioned counter nuts on the t-rod threadings, against the swivel nuts, this makes a lot of sense as well.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off topic but I have a small knock on DFD. Like the item you listed, it's "sold out".

They sell a lot of decent off-brand stuff like hoops, heads. I've ordered hoops from them before for the entire kit - they'll be "sold out" of every other size. Gah! I need some mesh heads and they sell them individually and two of the sizes I need are sold out, and a 22 metal bass hoop I need.

ok rant off, sorry
They usually sell out of those quickly. DFD has an alert though to let you know when a particular item is back in stock. They usually restock pretty quickly. DFD is no different in maintaining stock as any other small business. Unfortunately, it's how it is today. Only the big guys have all the stock, all the time. Even then, I've still found that the big companies sometimes don't have everything when I need it. Heads for example are sometimes missing in certain sizes. (I've had to buy the same heads in different sizes from 3 different places in order to do a full kit head change). I love DFD since they have odd things that we need and some stuff manufactured for them that are hard to find elsewhere. My reso heads are Aquarian Hi-frequency coated heads. They are hard to find! DFD is usually the source for these. Amazon is another but I avoid Amazon like the plague for heads. They almost always arrive damaged and sometimes it's evident that many have been used already. Sabian SR2's are another thing that DFD is great with. They are usually the cheapest and have a host of sizes and post sound files for all of them. Anyways, positive DFD rant over, Lol!

Vicey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've put Tightscrews on two of my vintage snares, and they're working well. They're both eight-lugs and I only put them on the top hoop, which is one way to keep the costs down.

Given the condition of the original rods when I bought both drums, Squirrel Man's method ran a close second.

rstange1

Reaction score
Around 20 years ago I bought a Yamaha Stage Custom drum set. I loved those drums EXCEPT I was always knocking the tension rods loose -- primarily on the snare and the (6-lug) 14" tom. I tried a number of things to keep the tension rods tight, but without success.

I also had a high-end Yamaha snare at the time that never went out of tune. I noticed that on that drum, the tension rods did not spin freely through their entire length of travel. So, I took both drums apart to see what the difference was. On the high-end drum, the swivel nut that the tension rod threads into had a nylon insert (like a Nyloc nut) to restrict free turning of the tension rod.

Being the clever (if not frugal) guy that I am, I ordered a bunch of the high-end Yamaha swivel nuts and retrofitted all of the lugs on my Stage Custom set with them. It was not a particularly cost-effective solution, but solved the problem.

Attached are photos of both swivel nuts and the Yamaha part number if anyone is interested. :)
IMG_1618.jpg
IMG_1619.jpg
IMG_0620.jpeg

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using the Pearl ones on my Acro. They’re ok but they don’t fit the ludwig hoop super well and still slip a bit (around rimshot area).

I might try swapping the hoop out for another triple flange I have lying around and see if that works better.