Lug replacement on old DC Percussion bass drum, or, Drilling Acousticon—tips?

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This could fit in either Vintage or here.

I came into a bass drum that a friend picked up at a garage sale, a 22 x 1X" DC Percussion that sounds real good, and has a "Quadura by Remo" sticker on the bottom—and the shell looks like a clipboard, so it's walking and quacking like an Acousticon duck. It's missing a lug, which is normally not a big deal, but these in particular are cube-shaped, with the mounting holes drilled horizonal to the usual orientation. Not the most universal things.

I wouldn't assume this drum to have significant collectible value, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I'm thinking of drilling holes in the space of one of the "floor" lugs to pop in one of my spare lugs, and using that original lug to replace the missing one somewhere up top.

How drillable is this stuff, though? I'd hate to start, and then it opens up like a ripped pillow. And, am I right in that such a "restoration" isn't worth worrying about with diminishing any value?

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ive built a kit once with a Remo shell.
Drilling isnt a problem.
Kinda like drilling thru a ream of cardboard,fluffy residue.
Take your time.
Great sounding shells,imho

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I drilled my REMO Acousticon MasterEdge shells to convert from generic RIMS to INDe mounts with no issues. And these are REMO's top of the line drums and I'm a klutz with tools, and it was still easy! No regerts!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
DC was a Drum City brand. I believe they started early 80's and ran through early 90's. I believe two locations: Kirk Scott's Drum City in San Antonio (Jeff Ryder was a teacher there and eventually bought Kirk out) and there was Joe Voda's? can't remember where...midwest maybe? George Strait's drummer the late great Mike Kennedy used a set for a few years before getting his Yamaha deal. I don't think they have much collectability except maybe for those who want to collect odd brands or have a connection with one of the stores. I loved Kirk's store, started going there in about 1983 and it was wall to wall drums, was a maze to walk through, sorta like Pro Drum in Hollywood but half the size.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, with all this information and resource-sharing, I have cold feet now; probably best. The lug is actually half of the one pictured, with that unusual horizontal drilling orientation I mentioned.

For now, I'll just transfer lugs to where the missing one is on the floor side of the reso, shove a pillow against it.

Latest posts