LV80's wearing stick tips?

Kln_BC

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else who uses the Zildjian Low Volume cymbals has noticed their sticks wearing out faster? I feel like the hats are chewing the tips on my sticks. I actually switched to using cheaper sticks when I'm practicing on these because I hate burning through my activegrip Pro Marks so fast...

I've never used Nylon tips; are they maybe more durable?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No problems so far using nylon tips. I don't play a lot of hi-hat edge at the moment, though.

Kln_BC

Reaction score
makes sense, like playing on a cheese grater
Ya thats what I was thinking.

No problems so far using nylon tips. I don't play a lot of hi-hat edge at the moment, though.
Good to know. I dont play the edges either...I think the sort of back and forth motion on the bow is "grating" the tips as premierplayer said.

I'm going to order some Nylon sticks I guess.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Makes sense.
I'd be curious to know what some people are seeing playing jazz ride as well and how tips are lasting on that.

I agree that nylon tips should last longer on them. Save your good wood tips for your "real" cymbals and performances.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I switch to nylon tips using LV80's. Way less wear. The other advantage of nylon tips is if you are using silent mesh heads along with your LV80's then chipped or worn wood tips can catch a bit in the mesh, wearing on them. Nylon tips won't catch on the mesh.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Coated heads do that as well. When I started out I used to play one pair of VF SD9 sticks, and after quite a while went to the shop to get another one. Seemed like the tips ahd changed, but I didn't find out when or why. Turned out they had just worn down to a nice teardrop/5A shape!