Made in USA Hardware?

DrumTransit

Reaction score
Does anyone know of companies that don't offshore their hardware? I know Axis pedals are made in the U.S., but I'm curious if there is any company making cymbal/hi-hat stands domestically.

Dano

Reaction score
Trick has hi hat stands plus their bass drum pedals made outside Chicago.

dw has their high end machined bass pedals and hi hats made in CA.

Axis used to do high hat and cymbal stands here, but I do t see them listed any longer.

I talked to somebody years ago on the topic and I believe the EPA/issues with chrome plating were a large contributor.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you go to www.importyeti.com you'll see that they import a lot of their hw from Asia. I'm guessing they make their own hoops.
They make their own hoops, and that’s all I am going to say. I will leave that alone.

I knew someone made their stands, but wondered about lugs and such.

Last edited:

DrumTransit

Reaction score
Trick has hi hat stands plus their bass drum pedals made outside Chicago.

dw has their high end machined bass pedals and hi hats made in CA.

Axis used to do high hat and cymbal stands here, but I do t see them listed any longer.

I talked to somebody years ago on the topic and I believe the EPA/issues with chrome plating were a large contributor.
Thanks, I had no idea Trick was in Chicago. That makes sense about DW. That chrome plating issue is interesting too, especially considering how many drums/drum parts are chrome plated. I'll see if I can find more on that.

ToBBa

Reaction score
Helpful website, thanks!
No problem.
A Quick search through this website shows that basicly every Company manufacturing in the USA from small boutique outfits like sjc, A&f, c&c, pork pie, craviotto through to giants like ludwig(conn Selmer), gretsch, dw basically all get their hw from the same 2-3 asian sources.

Dano

Reaction score
I worked for a place that chrome plated. It’s nasty business. We were visited at least monthly by sone government organization to make sure we were behaving.

Water and air tests were frequent.

One trick we played was that our parts were mostly brass, so there was no need to copper plate, helping our cause somewhat.

I was told be our safety manager they could never build that plant today and we were grandfathered in dating back to the 1960’s.

Conversely, my neighbor manages an aftermarket car parts manufacturing facility. They can polish, anodize, or powder coat, but no chrome.

In fact the only cost effective way they ever calculated was to do it by the sea Container and ship to Mexico once the quantity was sufficient to offset the shipping charges.

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Yes, I have a buddy who works for the EPA, and the issue is the waste that results from chrome plating, namely highly acidic liquid waste, which contains toxic levels of chromium, zinc and other chemicals used in the plating process. This was done for many years in the USA and it completely trashed our freshwater supplies in some parts of the country. So that's why it's done only on a small scale in the USA now. There are high costs in getting your waste stream in compliance with local and federal standards.
In China, there are few or no restrictions.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is a new faux chrome process that lacks the hardness, but looks like true chrome.