Making a grass snare drum

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like an interesting project. If you’re concerned with the shell being slightly undersized you may want to try aquarian heads. They seem to fit a little tighter than remos so could be a perfect set up

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the drawing board I had it centered in the Pearl Free Floater but every time I try to tune it the shell shifts. Onto the shelf and back to the drawing board. The Pearl Piccolo FF will now be used for this inbound steam- View attachment 509571 bent beauty:
That is STUNNING!!! Is that a Cask shell? I was interested to see the orgional shell finished but this one may be even more fun finished!

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Probably need to go with bass drum height lugs on that undersized shell. Also that strainer I believe is a mix of "Aztek gold" and black, not brass and black.

Lord Ny

Reaction score
What about going to a machine shop and having them make a stainless steel washer of sorts to make the shelf wider? I live near a few machine shops and have had a few things made. They don't seem to mind one off stuff at all.

Sd27

Reaction score
Back to the drawing board I had it centered in the Pearl Free Floater but every time I try to tune it the shell shifts. Onto the shelf and back to the drawing board. The Pearl Piccolo FF will now be used for this inbound steam- View attachment 509571 bent beauty:
Oh my, that is nice!

rkingston

Reaction score
I know this thread is approaching old age, but have you considered using bass drum lugs to account for undersized shell on that black palm? BD lug tension rod inserts sit farther away from the shell to compensate for the wood hoop, among other things. Could work...

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is STUNNING!!! Is that a Cask shell? I was interested to see the orgional shell finished but this one may be even more fun finished!
Yes. Micah, at Cask, made me a steambent red gum shell. He agreed to add the maple shell that was on Reverb at $225 for no additional shipping. I'm using the red gum but the maple and a Tempus snare drum I built are both waiting for tension rods to arrive. After that I need to build out another Tempus shell and the grass shell will sit until all that is done.

The grass shell has one additional problem which caused me to try to put it in a free floater. While the bearing edge on one side is good, the other side has a burr running along much of the bearing edge. I'll put up a finished photo of the flame birdseye maple shell when I get the tension rods in.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Micah, at Cask, made me a steambent red gum shell. He agreed to add the maple shell that was on Reverb at $225 for no additional shipping. I'm using the red gum but the maple and a Tempus snare drum I built are both waiting for tension rods to arrive. After that I need to build out another Tempus shell and the grass shell will sit until all that is done.

The grass shell has one additional problem which caused me to try to put it in a free floater. While the bearing edge on one side is good, the other side has a burr running along much of the bearing edge. I'll put up a finished photo of the flame birdseye maple shell when I get the tension rods in.
Looking forward to the pics.... and chance of saving the grass shell with a new edge or is it just an inherent flaw in the shell itself?

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never seen a burr like that on a bearing edge but they are very common sharpening knives. I'm not equipped to cut a new bearing edge so I'm looking at schemes to notch the shell or fasten something to it to rest on the bottom ledge of a floater.