Making a stand for roto toms..

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was given an old set of roto toms a while back and had a credit at my local shop so I got new heads..they have no stand..I was thinking of modifying a cymbal stand, as I have a few old ones laying around..anybody out there have any ideas how I can fix these to a cymbal stand? they only have the one piece left on them. Not sure if I could use that or just drill a hole in the under side..not sure what to do..I don't want to invest much money as I probably won't play them much..if at all..but if I can Jimmy rig them I may give them away as a present..lol..here is the fixture that is on there now.
. View attachment 417438
76653008_598900994251034_9126402288175284224_n.jpg

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought this thread was going to be about you defending them, haha. I got excited. I thought, "finally, somebody is standing up for them".

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
In a way, I am....these were on his junk heap and I am trying to revive them to the once glorious instrument that they were. :p

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went to a sale at a church in Florida last winter and a dude was trying to sell his rototoms, $20.
I knew the second I turned him down that I would regret it and almost went back. But my girlfriend would have killed me if I aquired one more thing to cram into our cars before a big, cross-country move.

Wish I had them now.

Slightly off topic, but could be useful, has anybody ever put heads other than those black dots on rototoms?

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’d like to get them functional, at least. I may use them for some of our recording. Not sure but still be fun to have...

drumreverie

Reaction score
I was given an old set of roto toms a while back and had a credit at my local shop so I got new heads..they have no stand..I was thinking of modifying a cymbal stand, as I have a few old ones laying around..anybody out there have any ideas how I can fix these to a cymbal stand? they only have the one piece left on them. Not sure if I could use that or just drill a hole in the under side..not sure what to do..I don't want to invest much money as I probably won't play them much..if at all..but if I can Jimmy rig them I may give them away as a present..lol..here is the fixture that is on there now.
. View attachment 417438 View attachment 417460
You probably already know that fixture connects to what Remo calls a Rachet Block which you can see in the diagram on this page: https://support.remo.com/hc/en-us/articles/207987616-Rototom-Replacement-Parts-List

The rachet block is attached to a tilter on the top part of a stand. I have an old roto tom set that has this fixture and the rachet block with tilter. All you would need is the stand with rachet block to attach to your roto toms.

drumreverie

Reaction score
I went to a sale at a church in Florida last winter and a dude was trying to sell his rototoms, $20.
I knew the second I turned him down that I would regret it and almost went back. But my girlfriend would have killed me if I aquired one more thing to cram into our cars before a big, cross-country move.

Wish I had them now.

Slightly off topic, but could be useful, has anybody ever put heads other than those black dots on rototoms?
Somebody really smart recommended I try Remo Tympani heads which believe it or not come in 6, 8, and 10 inch sizes, or at least they did when I bought them years ago. He said I could get close to a true pitch on the roto toms using those heads and he was right. The only downside is that the tympani heads are pretty delicate. My heads have all sorts of stick dents from where I hit them hard. You have to be aware not to whack them too hard but the upside is a cool, pitched tone.

I did this years ago and heads have evolved so much -- I wonder, are there some modern heads that would give a "true pitch" and also be more durable than the tympani heads?

fibes3

Reaction score
In a way, I am....these were on his junk heap and I am trying to revive them to the once glorious instrument that they were. :p
Roch,
You might consider a Remo AD100 Roto tom adapter. It allows you to mount a Roto tom on an "L" arm. I got one through Steve Weiss Music.

Cheers!
Dave

mebeatee

Reaction score
I have one black framed set (8,10,12,14,16) with black dots and a 14 and 18 chrome frame with coated ambo's and/or coated diplo's.
The black ones are used like regular toms and the chrome ones are used like mini tymps in more experimental musics. The coating is great for those wet your finger and slide across the head whale like sounds, and of course brushes.
They all are mounted with a Collarlock system and other adapters that Mark built many years ago when he first started Collarlock. Was great to be a guinea pig of sorts as we were trying to come up with a good way to mount them using his bar and mount system.
There's are a couple of older threads on the forum about mounting roto's as well....
bt

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
If you're handy you could drill a block of aluminum on two sides, one for a cymbal stand tilter to fit through and the other to on the side to tighten it to the stand. Then tighten the cymbal wing nut to the slot in that existing piece.

Attachments

Latest posts