Making Money From Home While Drumming? (Tips/Recommendations)

MortSahlFan

Reaction score
For the past 2-3 years, I've thought about possibly starting a web site, hoping I can sell real drum beats to other musicians. I have a Tascam DP-01 Portastudio and have everything I need at home. I've tried fakebook (425 friends) and even my YouTube channel, which has about 2,500 subscribers, but have had 0 luck.

I know there's more "social" media out there, but if my "friends" (and family) won't dish out a whopping $5 for an entire album (I have four) that can be sent with no contact, shipping, just strictly e-mail, then I figure I'd be spending a ton of time trying to acquire "followers" and still get nowhere. I actually have facebook deactivated most of the time - there's absolutely no point. I also think many don't use it and simply leave it laying around.

If anyone has ANY idea how to make even a few bucks from home (and with no-contact unless totally necessary), I'd love to hear it. Maybe there's someone with an idea that can help someone else out. If drummers don't help other drummers, who will?

Polska

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suggestion: get a full-time job that allows work from home while you build a drum career. If you don't need the money then get out and meet people and play a ton with others. I don't believe anyone can build an online following and career from scratch.

MortSahlFan

Reaction score
Suggestion: get a full-time job that allows work from home while you build a drum career. If you don't need the money then get out and meet people and play a ton with others. I don't believe anyone can build an online following and career from scratch.

I've played all over the world, but I don't even think that helps. People are scattered all over and you don't get "points" for what you did yesterday. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has already tried this, and if it was a waste of money to start a website, since it seems like we've been replaced by drum machines.

Everything around here is closed or out of business.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've played all over the world, but I don't even think that helps. People are scattered all over and you don't get "points" for what you did yesterday. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has already tried this, and if it was a waste of money to start a website, since it seems like we've been replaced by drum machines.

Everything around here is closed or out of business.
Have you considered creating a YouTube channel and recording yourself playing?

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Tascam DP-01 Portastudio and have everything I need at home.

You're competing with people who have $$$$ gear and are willing to sell their services for peanuts. Some are even well known established pros with amazing credentials. I wouldn't waste your time.
Who were you hoping to target with a Tascam Portastudio?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has already tried this,
think we just had a 9 page SCREED on this recently::

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
think we just had a 9 page SCREED on this recently::

It's a little bit different of a topic. Here we have an actual working drummer who plays live with bands, looking to start an online side hustle.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You're competing with people who have $$$$ gear and are willing to sell their services for peanuts. Some are even well known established pros with amazing credentials. I wouldn't waste your time.
Who were you hoping to target with a Tascam Portastudio?

This. You can get elite session drummers for really affordable rates. Just how it is now. It's even hard for them, as there's so many others trying the same thing. To add to it, all live drummers are also competing against software. Musicians can find recorded live drums beats to write songs to, for free or dirt cheap. Years ago I got a lot of session work recording various beats for a producers own library. I rarely get work from him now.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think of it like this. Do people send Kenny Aronoff tracks because he set up website and advertised it somehow? No, people send Kenny Aronoff tracks because they want HIM to play on it.

Surely an experienced guy like you knows people who like working with you and would love doing projects with you. Not for nothing, you have 2500 followers on your YouTube channel, you've got a bigger social network (on and likely offline) than most.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Um, that's mostly for adult entertainment and explicit content. Maybe a better idea would be Patreon?