Making The Whole Of The Moon - Waterboys

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is an old favorite of mine, and my wife!
We listened to it just the other evening, during troubled circumstances, and it was a great help in that moment.
Thanx for sharing!

MarkJD

Reaction score
That is an amazing bit of history on a truly great song....I’m a big fan of that album, and particularly this track.
Thank you for sharing...

Vicey

Reaction score
Thank you. I've loved that song for decades. Great story, especially the connection to Prince.

Whitten

Reaction score
Karl went on to have a closer connection to Prince. Mike Scott made Irish influenced Fisherman's Blues next and never did anything remotely similar to Whole Of The Moon again.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of my very favorite tracks of 1985. I had a Sunday morning college radio show at the time, and this track was hugely popular. Huge kick sound (which you retained in the video), which sometimes wasn't the greatest for hangovers! I know that I have personally copped that series of fills you do near the end of the song. I think they're perfectly placed!

I also remember playing "World Shut Your Mouth", too. It was years before I put together that you were the drummer on lots of tracks that I admired "Figure of Eight", etc. I definitely was influenced by how you feel and drive a 4/4.

Thanks for this video.

Dan

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm curious as to your setup in that video. Looks like a Pork Pie kit and Istanbul cymbals? I really like the kick sound. Plenty of attack, yet plenty of body. Too many drummers have a wide-open wwhhhoooosh kick sound that is both overwrought as well as unmusical, but this one is spot on!

Dan

Whitten

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, an older Pork Pie kit (2004) I picked up pretty cheap. It sounds fantastic.
I recently started endorsing Istanbul Agop.
I tried to go with a more 80's sound for the bass drum in keeping with the original recording. I used a Beyerdynamic TG D70 mic at the head port and a Lawson fet47 clone a few inches further back. I added some UAD 1073 EQ just to clean out some of the mids and add a bit of smack (ala 80's).

Redfern

Reaction score
Just fantastic! All time favorite song...sublime.

Quick question:
I see both of your current kits have shallow toms...great tone, yet full bodied. Tough to accomplish. Do you prefer the shallow toms?
Also, did you play 12” hats back then? Look like Zildjian recording hats?

Last edited:

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for this, Chris. It's always great to hear the interesting histories behind classic songs like this, and the video was just the cherry on top.

Would you consider doing a similar presentation on the background of recording "What I Am"? It's really one of the greatest drum grooves ever captured on record, and it's filled with so many fantastic, subtle details.

Whitten

Reaction score
No, I'm not really into shallow toms. I'm open minded and it just so happens that a couple of my favourite kits came with shallow toms.
My main kit is N&C Horizon which has regular toms, also a Camco Oaklawn which has traditional tom sizes.
My 80's hi-hats were 13" K Dark. Again, no particular choice on my part. Zildjian gave them to me and I really liked them, so used them.
I can't remember, I might have used 14" on the DS tour as it was a more loud rocky gig.
Most of the time I've used 14" K Zildjian, but have recently switched to 15" Istanbul Agop.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank You for insights to that wonderful song. Brings back my childhood memories, when music was a part of social identification, not a shopping mall filler...
I also have pork pie set. Amongst other drums I own(ed), it has great all around definition and top quality assembly. My go to live gig kit. Never disappointed.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very nicely done. The right stuff in the right place. No wonder it was a hit.