Man, I just got lost in the Vulfpeck Zone!

Tcat

Reaction score
One of the most disappointing aspects of this forum lately is the the thin skin. Not just this thread either. I suspect most users are adults and I would hope a little ribbing or “chop-busting “ could be tolerated, especially among long time members familiar with each other. Yes sometimes the negativity goes too far and I know nuance is lost in this format, but geez.
There I said it and feel better already.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess that honor goes to Joe Stratton and the other guy who also plays keys and guitar extremely well. Solid, solid drummers.
That's Theo Katzman. His solo album "Heartbreak Hits" is really, really good.

Love this tune:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
really . some people. grow a layer. doth protest too much.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
ha ha ha ha ... that's me. Thanks for the shout out.

I don't know why someone can't have a valid, substanciated opinion in 2021. Just for the record, I respect everythng they've done. Happy for their success, happy they're play real instruments. All that. I am in no way taking any of that away. Great... go enjoy...

But no gd way I'm going to play them over Donnie Hathaway or Bobby Womack, or Pleasure ( do you even who who Pleasure is ?). Sorry man, you can't convice me on that one... Hate me if you like, criticize my opinion. I don't care. Anderson Paak ? sure. Snarky Puppy, sure.. I don't discount everything, but I'm not feeling Vulfpeck.
And that's your right. I wasn't asking anyone to drink the VP Kool Aid. I did and it was good...to me... I posted because I found it inspiring and was enamored with the quality of the musicianship. It doesn't mean I wanted to nail it to the natives feet (George Carlin quote I use all the time BTW)...

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
These guys are like gateway Funk for nice kids from Long Island and NJ. (like I once was...).

But I have faith if someone likes them, eventually they'll find proper funk, Stax, Motown, Funbrothers, James, Maceo Parker, Stevie, King Curtis....Maybe I can retire selling my Bernard Purdie collection some day.
Yeh, I think this is what's going on with them, for sure. They are most likely devotees.

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like ‘Em. I like Joe Dart. I like Cory Wong. Man, it’s all flavors. Don’t like their pedigree? Okay. The MSG concert was entertaining to me. I appreciate the musicianship and interactions. What the heck is going on here? Dan....when did you become controversial?

tomo221

Reaction score
ha ha ha ha ... that's me. Thanks for the shout out.

I don't know why someone can't have a valid, substanciated opinion in 2021. Just for the record, I respect everythng they've done. Happy for their success, happy they're play real instruments. All that. I am in no way taking any of that away. Great... go enjoy...

But no gd way I'm going to play them over Donnie Hathaway or Bobby Womack, or Pleasure ( do you even who who Pleasure is ?). Sorry man, you can't convice me on that one... Hate me if you like, criticize my opinion. I don't care. Anderson Paak ? sure. Snarky Puppy, sure.. I don't discount everything, but I'm not feeling Vulfpeck.
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, as we all are. No one is saying you can't have an opinion. But the way you choose to express your opinions can rub people the wrong way, and they're free to voice their opinions back at you. If you'd said it just wasn't for you, that would be that. No big deal. I just think saying things like 'this band has only 5% of the talent of X/Y/Z' comes off as sort of a micro aggression, whether intended or not, that feels insulting to people who are actually fans of the group. Talent isn't quantifiable, and our perception of each artist's "level" of talent is subjective. It's not so much an opinion as it is an insult disguised as an opinion.

I don't know who Pleasure is. I have no opinion on them (him? her?). If you think those of us who like VP might also dig Pleasure, you might consider just recommending it to us, rather than back-handedly implying that we're below some imagined level for not having your same taste and knowledge of a particular group or artist. Again, insult in disguise.

Like I said, you're well within your rights to feel a certain way about a certain group. You just may not realize that you're being insulting when you say you're simply expressing your opinion. The last four words of what you said above - "I'm not feeling Vulfpeck" - is all you'd have needed to express it. The other stuff is just kinda mudslinging, lightly sugarcoated with the "I respect everything they've done" angle.

I don't hate you. I don't really know anything about you! I'm not trying to convince you to like something, because I know that's probably an exercise in futility, not because of who you are, but because of who we all are as humans (myself included)!

Sorry, I don't usually get into wordy posts like this. Just food for thought I guess. Whatever!

tomo221

Reaction score
Anyway, here's a Vulf track (and video) I find particularly enjoyable (watch that countdown!):

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OT I think?
On the rotating personnel aspect of VP, and even Snarky Puppy, I wonder what you all think of Scary Pockets ( my favorite cover band) and Postmodern Jukebox. ( classy vintage vibe)
I’m very impressed that all of these bands pull from a pool of very talented singers and musicians.
I think Snarky Puppy started it in a big way. YouTube has allowed so many players and singers to get exposure, and these rotating combinations are a great way to see and hear it all.
Been a mostly big fan of Postmodern Jukebox since I discovered them after investigating Puddles Pity Party (don't ask).

BTW, Mini Cooper (c'mon, it is a BMW)

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
The first time that I heard these guys was at the foundry that I retired from. Me and my team went in together on a Pyle Bluetooth speaker, and the rule was that when you rotated to the worst spot, you had control of what would be played. One guy was big into a weird combination of Cookie Monster metal and jam bands, most of which I had never heard of, and I was impressed enough to ask him who they were. Initially, given how noisy it was, I thought that he said “Wolfpack.” “No, no! It’s Vulfpeck, not Wolfpack!!”
I drive an ‘09 Saturn Aura. Opel design, fun to drive.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, as we all are. No one is saying you can't have an opinion. But the way you choose to express your opinions can rub people the wrong way, and they're free to voice their opinions back at you. If you'd said it just wasn't for you, that would be that. No big deal. I just think saying things like 'this band has only 5% of the talent of X/Y/Z' comes off as sort of a micro aggression, whether intended or not, that feels insulting to people who are actually fans of the group. Talent isn't quantifiable, and our perception of each artist's "level" of talent is subjective. It's not so much an opinion as it is an insult disguised as an opinion.

I don't know who Pleasure is. I have no opinion on them (him? her?). If you think those of us who like VP might also dig Pleasure, you might consider just recommending it to us, rather than back-handedly implying that we're below some imagined level for not having your same taste and knowledge of a particular group or artist. Again, insult in disguise.

Like I said, you're well within your rights to feel a certain way about a certain group. You just may not realize that you're being insulting when you say you're simply expressing your opinion. The last four words of what you said above - "I'm not feeling Vulfpeck" - is all you'd have needed to express it. The other stuff is just kinda mudslinging, lightly sugarcoated with the "I respect everything they've done" angle.

I don't hate you. I don't really know anything about you! I'm not trying to convince you to like something, because I know that's probably an exercise in futility, not because of who you are, but because of who we all are as humans (myself included)!

Sorry, I don't usually get into wordy posts like this. Just food for thought I guess. Whatever!
I have to stand with Mr. jaymandude. I think that what we do whenever we try to express our taste and aesthetic standards has long been known to be unquantifiable - or as some might say today, "non-data driven" - thank God! Jaymandude's just ball-parkin' it, even with the 5% figure. Would his crit read differently if he had started with "I'm not feeling Vulfpeck"? Perhaps, but in any case, a thinking person would then want reasons to back up that claim. Those reasons would then follow the claimmand are pretty much going to be subjective every time, (5% of talent of those who they emulate, soulless, goofball stage presence, etc.) and they might be strongly felt, especially if an artist or drum company is presented as the end-all and be-all of what's happening now - which I think is fair game for a strong reaction.

I take his casual mention of other, perhaps unknown to us, artists, as an invitation to check them out. He already has, and that does not insult me. It just tells me that he's got a frame of reference.

The next thing is I don't think he's "micro-aggressing" (ugh!) at all. His evaluation is quite strong, and as I've said earlier, as long as we don't turn back into 4th graders on the playground, it's all right.

Ah yes, when yesterday's subtle and nuanced use of language is today called microaggression. But again, I don't think jaymandude is being subtle or nuanced, or even "micro-aggressing."

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to stand with Mr. jaymandude. I think that what we do whenever we try to express our taste and aesthetic standards has long been known to be unquantifiable - or as some might say today, "non-data driven" - thank God! Jaymandude's just ball-parkin' it, even with the 5% figure. Would his crit read differently if he had started with "I'm not feeling Vulfpeck"? Perhaps, but in any case, a thinking person would then want reasons to back up that claim. Those reasons would then follow the claimmand are pretty much going to be subjective every time, (5% of talent of those who they emulate, soulless, goofball stage presence, etc.) and they might be strongly felt, especially if an artist or drum company is presented as the end-all and be-all of what's happening now - which I think is fair game for a strong reaction.

I take his casual mention of other, perhaps unknown to us, artists, as an invitation to check them out. He already has, and that does not insult me. It just tells me that he's got a frame of reference.

The next thing is I don't think he's "micro-aggressing" (ugh!) at all. His evaluation is quite strong, and as I've said earlier, as long as we don't turn back into 4th graders on the playground, it's all right.

Ah yes, when yesterday's subtle and nuanced use of language is today called microaggression. But again, I don't think jaymandude is being subtle or nuanced, or even "micro-aggressing."
When touring starts and I get near you the drinks are on me.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vulfpeck is exciting and all. I dig them, esp when the have Nate Smith on drums. It's just that there are SOOOOO Many legendary bands making that music and burning up clubs (and churches!) going back to the 50's. So don't just stick your toe in the shallow end!!

Here are some of my favs in honor of MLK day.

There's James Brown of course. But also Papa Lou Donaldson (Alligator Boogaloo), Houston Person, Grant Green Sr, Charles "the Mighty Burner" Earland, Dr Lonnie Smith, Lonnie Liston Smith, Jimmy Smith, pre Broadway George Benson, Groove Holmes, King Curtis...

Oh man the King Curtis band played a two hour set just to warm up and then backed up Aretha Franklin and did THIS in 1971 at the Fillmore West -- both on CD and sound better than this video. W Bernie Purdie on drums, Billy Preston on Organ.

Also worth some crate digging -- there's a series of compilations called "Legends of Acid Jazz" that you can usually find cheap. Almost every one of those cd's are reissues of impeccable sounding funky jazz with Idris Muhammad and Bernard Purdie drumming across many of them. Lot of them recorded by Blue Note / Rudy Van Gelder. A lot of its centered around the hammond organ.

Then you had the legendary Stuff, with Steve Gadd. High as mess after their studio day gigs they'd play all night in clubs.

As far as more modern stuff - guys who still got their teeth - I just HOPE your also digging into the Dap Kings - esp the Sharon Jones records! A lot of the Dap Kings guys are on all sorts of things all over the place. Lots of great video of them with Sharon on youtube but I like this one recorded in their studio:

My friend Brian Charette is killing it with Oz Noy and some hack on drums.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Vulfpeck is exciting and all. I dig them, esp when the have Nate Smith on drums. It's just that there are SOOOOO Many legendary bands making that music and burning up clubs (and churches!) going back to the 50's. So don't just stick your toe in the shallow end!!

Here are some of my favs in honor of MLK day.

There's James Brown of course. But also Papa Lou Donaldson (Alligator Boogaloo), Houston Person, Grant Green Sr, Charles "the Mighty Burner" Earland, Dr Lonnie Smith, Lonnie Liston Smith, Jimmy Smith, pre Broadway George Benson, Groove Holmes, King Curtis...

Oh man the King Curtis band played a two hour set just to warm up and then backed up Aretha Franklin and did THIS in 1971 at the Fillmore West -- both on CD and sound better than this video. W Bernie Purdie on drums, Billy Preston on Organ.

Also worth some crate digging -- there's a series of compilations called "Legends of Acid Jazz" that you can usually find cheap. Almost every one of those cd's are reissues of impeccable sounding funky jazz with Idris Muhammad and Bernard Purdie drumming across many of them. Lot of them recorded by Blue Note / Rudy Van Gelder. A lot of its centered around the hammond organ.

Then you had the legendary Stuff, with Steve Gadd. High as sheeet after their studio day gigs they'd play all night in clubs.

As far as more modern stuff - guys who still got their teeth - I just HOPE your also digging into the Dap Kings - esp the Sharon Jones records! A lot of the Dap Kings guys are on all sorts of things all over the place. Lots of great video of them with Sharon on youtube but I like this one recorded in their studio:

My friend Brian Charette is killing it with Oz Noy and some hack on drums.

This^^^^. An encyclopedia of where it's at.

jakeo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to Fearless Flyers album Tailwind. Concert toms and lots of em. Pretty fabulous.

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was glad to see what they were doing when I first encountered them. I like how they've created their own scene by getting out there and working hard.

They share the stage well and have high level players guest with them.

But I always thought they should get a dynamic full time drummer instead of taking turns at the kit. Joe Dart is too strong a player to be stuck dealing with that sort of thing.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
More soy than rock, but it sounded cool. I skipped around and liked the encore. Will put it on in the workshop when finishing up my drum project later....thanks! Always looking to find new music.

Oh, and a show of hands for those here who have played Madison Square Garden?????.