header.nohb.html

Manu Katche

Core Creek

Reaction score
This is who I think of when I think of musical drummers. Of course there are others, but this guy.... His work on the Robbie Robertson self-titled album is fabulous. Seeing him in the Peter Gabriel "Secret World" tour video is spectacular.
That Robbie Robertson album was a huge influence on my drumming. He slayed that album.

Core Creek

Reaction score
I first heard Manu Katche's playing on a track of a Tears for Fears album (the Badman's Song), then became more interested with his playing on Robbie Robertson's 1989 (I think) album, and was utterly enthralled by his performance on Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live. Years later, I continue to enjoy his playing... always appropriate, with a super groove and just the right amount of ornamentation :)

The Seeds of Love album was also a huge influence…. Another great example of Manu’s work.

Core Creek

Reaction score
I was blown away by Manu when Sting's "Nothing Like The Sun" album first came out.
And yet another hugely influential album (and track)… this came out just as I started drumming so i never realized it was him, but it definitely makes sense. The first three tracks on that album were mesmerizing to my 14 year old self.

Core Creek

Reaction score
I consider Satriani to be perhaps my biggest musical influence, and this song (and album) had a profound effect, and yup, it’s Manu:

Ryukyu

Reaction score
And yet another hugely influential album (and track)… this came out just as I started drumming so i never realized it was him, but it definitely makes sense. The first three tracks on that album were mesmerizing to my 14 year old self.
After hearing this album, I had to go out and get a splash cymbal.
I had previously loved Stuart Copeland's use of them, but after hearing the way Manu used them, I had to have one. I still use two of them in my setup.

Core Creek

Reaction score
After hearing this album, I had to go out and get a splash cymbal.
I had previously loved Stuart Copeland's use of them, but after hearing the way Manu used them, I had to have one. I still use two of them in my setup.
Yup, I’ve had two since the 90’s. I also loved Copeland’s playing as well….

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Manu was the reason my love for drums and Yamaha fired up,

Secret World is such an amazing album.

This was the casette pops always popped in when we went on road trips.

When they did the Back To Front tour I went to see it solo, and danced in fromt of the stage at “In Your Eyes”.

I had the pleasure to meet him years ago.

1656511634528.png

And sleep in the Manu Katchè room in his hotel in Paris with the misses at Yamaha’s 50th anniversary.

1656513780471.png

1656513767305.png

Attachments

• 1656513759597.png
    1656513759597.png
    221.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere Down the Crazy River and Sledgehammer are two of my all time favorite songs and really opened my eyes to what a fantastic and musical drummer Manu Katche is…then all the other stuff he did is also exceptional. Groove monster for sure…so much fun playing Somewhere!!!

Last edited:

chorga1

Reaction score
His work with Jan Garbarek is outstanding. Might I recommend Molde Canticle part 2 and part 4 amongst many others.

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gabriels SO, particularly "In Your Eyes" was an eye opener to me

Robbie Robertson's first solo LP , and in particular, "Somewhere Down the Crazy River" was absolute genius drumming.

first time i ever say Manu was 1986 Amnesty International Concert on MTV.
No idea who he was, and I was pissed because I wanted to see Jerry Marotta, but he had such a different groove, i became a fan

This concert was on MTV as well from 86/87 and this particular performance was absolutely unforgettable. I remember having a lump in my throat watching this on TV

This is a neat little video as well from the 80s w those Blue Yamaha Tour Customs!

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gabriels SO, particularly "In Your Eyes" was an eye opener to me

Robbie Robertson's first solo LP , and in particular, "Somewhere Down the Crazy River" was absolute genius drumming.

first time i ever say Manu was 1986 Amnesty International Concert on MTV.
No idea who he was, and I was pissed because I wanted to see Jerry Marotta, but he had such a different groove, i became a fan

This concert was on MTV as well from 86/87 and this particular performance was absolutely unforgettable. I remember having a lump in my throat watching this on TV

This is a neat little video as well from the 80s w those Blue Yamaha Tour Customs!
Those are the rock tour customs. He also played the tour customs which were before these. Both in cobalt blue. I was trying to decide one time if I should get the rock tours or the tours and messaged Manu on Instagram and surprisingly he got right back to me and he told me he liked the rock tours better because they’re very powerful and tuned up easy. Needless to say, I got the rock tours.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Seeds of Love album was also a huge influence…. Another great example of Manu’s work.
There’s two songs from that album I really like. Not sure if Manu plays on those or not. They are “always in the past” and “woman in chains.”

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There’s two songs from that album I really like. Not sure if Manu plays on those or not. They are “always in the past” and “woman in chains.”

Pretty sure it is Phil Collins on Woman In Chains.

Also, Year of the Knife on that album has Simon Phillips I believe - and he kills it of course.

I love Manu's playing overall - Badman's Song blew me away on the Sowing... album. Manu is very musical and unique.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty sure it is Phil Collins on Woman In Chains.

Also, Year of the Knife on that album has Simon Phillips I believe - and he kills it of course.

I love Manu's playing overall - Badman's Song blew me away on the Sowing... album. Manu is very musical and unique.
Yeah now that I remember it I looked it up and Phil Collins plays on the first half of that song and Manu played on the second half. And I just right now looked up Wikipedia and it says that at 3:32 it switches over to Manu

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
Both my high school teacher and university teacher (also the head of the percussion dept. I was really lucky to get a time slot) were Berklee educated under Alan Dawson. They both said the same thing: 'You are the instrument. The goal is to learn to flow through this thing made of metal, wood and artificial animal skin in a way that is expressive, articulate and above all else, musical.'

Manu personifies this.