Mapex Drums - Quality Ranking

SHERRI TURNER

Reaction score
ok... I've gone through this thread's postings, and looked at the Mapex website, and parsed a couple of older catalogs... Incorporating feedback to date, here's what I've come up with as a version 2 of the Mapex Quality rankings (below).

To me, it seems there are three general clusters, and within a cluster, it can be argued that some models are roughly "parallel" in terms of construction, quality and sound. Following what Mapex does on their website, the sequence across models is "Pro" to "Entry" levels.

I started the thread to try and understand where a given model/series fit into the Mapex universe, e.g., when looking at ebay for possible drum additions.

Further input, enhancement, tweaks welcomed!

Revised Mapex Product Line Sort-of Hierarchy
Three General Clusters - Drum Kit Lines
[SIZE=10pt]Sequence across clusters is Pro to Entry levels for Drum Kits. Snare drums... for another day![/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Within a cluster, construction/ materials quality/sound may be very, very close[/SIZE].
[SIZE=10pt] Blue font = current lines as of August 2014[/SIZE]

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Black Panther // earlier Black Panther specialty kits (satin finish, birds eye maple)
Orion (maple; maple/burlwood outer)
Saturn IV // Saturn (maple/walnut ?or birch/walnut) // Saturn Pro (basswood/maple)
Deep Forest specialty kit (limited production; walnut or cherry shells)
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Mapex US Maples (circa mid-1990’s)
Meridian (maple or birch)
MyDentity (Meridian shells, maple or birch; wraps only, no lacquer finishes)
Orion Orbiter – maple w/ Pro M hardware (circa 2004)
Pro M (originally all basswood with inner/outer maple, then to all maple)
Armory (birch/maple)
Mars (current line; birch)
Horizon (basswood/birch or birch)
M (maple or birch)
Horizon II (poplar; wraps only); 2014 UK site - See: http://mapex.co.uk/drums/horizon2

Mars (older)
Voyager (basswood and later, poplar)
Tornado by Mapex (basswood; wraps only); 2014 UK site - See: http://mapex.co.uk/drums/tornado
VX Plasma (basswood)
V (basswood)
Venus (basswood)
Q (basswood? circa 2003)
My 6-piece Deep Forest Walnut Mapex kit for sale. Includes all hardware and Zildjian cymbals. I never traveled with them. Studio work only. I'll take pictures if interested. No cases. ABSOLUTELY A GREAT SOUNDING KIT!!!!

Soulfinger

Reaction score
My 6-piece Deep Forest Walnut Mapex kit for sale. Includes all hardware and Zildjian cymbals. I never traveled with them. Studio work only. I'll take pictures if interested. No cases. ABSOLUTELY A GREAT SOUNDING KIT!!!!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I can't believe this "SHERRI TURNER" person would boost all these Mapex threads in order to garner attention for her ad (which contains zero pics and no price, btw)
A crass & obnoxious strategy in my opinion. https://www.drumforum.org/members/sherri-turner.32295/#recent-content

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I can't believe this "SHERRI TURNER" person would boost all these Mapex threads in order to garner attention for her ad (which contains zero pics and no price, btw)
A crass & obnoxious strategy in my opinion. https://www.drumforum.org/members/sherri-turner.32295/#recent-content
I saw it earlier today in the For Sale section. Seemed a little funny as I didn't recognize the name or seen anything from her before the sale posting. When I checked out all 13 of her posts and saw they were all the exact same posts in any topic that mentioned Mapex, I figured some spammer found a way in and notified the mods to check her out.

I've been getting a lot of junk lately and my spam radar is currently on 11. She set it off with the excessive number of repetitive posts in the wrong areas.

prplx

Reaction score
I use to own two Mapex kit. One small bop Meridian Maple kit, which sounded pretty good. And this Orion, which sounded as good or even better as it looks, and is one of the few kits I kind of regret letting go...

Attachments

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own a Pro M "rock" configuration 13-16-18-24 in natural gloss finish. I bought it New in May of 2006 and it has pretty much been my go-to workhorse kit ever since. I was looking at a few other kits but the Mapex was easily the best bang for the buck (pun intended). Perfect in every way right out of the box!!

Attachments

Latest posts