Mapex High End Offerings -- New Demos

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First the Cherry Bomb kit. My brother-in-law has the Cherry Bomb snare. In my opinion, one of the best off the shelf wood snares I've ever heard. This kit sounds really nice, but not killing me. I love the finish though. I hope I would like it better if I heard it in person.

Now the new Saturn Evolution kits...the ones with the oral retainer as the tom mounting system. LOL I don't mind it and think both kits are gorgeous.

There's a lot of processing on these tracks (is processing the right word?) that beefs up the sound, but still, the birch gets my money all day long. Strange that when they do the single hits they convert it over to coated heads from the clear ones used in the song.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new black panther shadow (walnut/birch) snare I just got has a strainer with a tension knob at both ends of the drum. The strainer is easier to adjust than any I’ve used. It turns very easily and you can feel detents in each turn That helps to go back and forth between settings by feel. A great drum too!

I don’t know if Mapex used the same strainer design on older drums but I really like it.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The new black panther shadow (walnut/birch) snare I just got has a strainer with a tension knob at both ends of the drum. The strainer is easier to adjust than any I’ve used. It turns very easily and you can feel detents in each turn That helps to go back and forth between settings by feel. A great drum too!

I don’t know if Mapex used the same strainer design on older drums but I really like it.
They've had that strainer for about 10 years now, since the last time they revamped their Black Panther line. I have it on my SledgeHammer. I agree, it works great.

I've heard the Shadow in videos, and am really taken with it. It sounds like there's very little ring to it, which is a big thing for me on snare drums. What's your experience with it been?

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've had that strainer for about 10 years now, since the last time they revamped their Black Panther line. I have it on my SledgeHammer. I agree, it works great.

I've heard the Shadow in videos, and am really taken with it. It sounds like there's very little ring to it, which is a big thing for me on snare drums. What's your experience with it been?
Good to know that strainer can be found on older Mapex snares. To me that would be a selling point and I’m looking for an older Heartbreaker drum next.

I haven’t lived with this one long yet, but what I like is the overall sound. Descriptions of sound are tricky but I’ll try:
Loud as steel

Darker tone from the walnut combined with clarity from the birch

Excellent tuning range from low and deep to high and cracking

Very good rimshot

Nice inward-turned triple flange hoops that feel better on the hands and should perform like stick saver hoops.

Looks nice. The lugs are a bit Art Deco, harkening back to the 1920s, and the outer ply (veneer?) is a deep, buried walnut.

The drumazon video sold me on the shadow, even if they mixed it to sound better. It beat out all the other Mapex snares in the video, to my ear.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good to know that strainer can be found in older Mapex snares. To me that would be a selling point and I’m looking for an older Heartbreaker drum next.

I haven’t lived with this one long yet, but what I like is the overall sound. Descriptions of sound are tricky but I’ll try:
Loud as steel

Darker tone from the walnut combined with clarity from the birch

Excellent tuning range from low and deep to high and cracking

Very good rimshot

Looks nice. The lugs are a bit Art Deco, harkening back to the 1920s, and the outer ply (veneer?) is a deep, buried walnut.

The drumazon video sold me on the shadow, even if they mixed it to sound better. It beat out all the other Mapex snares in the video, to my ear.
Those lugs are also fro the old refresh from 2010. Very shield-like. I love them...and the finish is beautiful. I agree, on all the videos I've seen running through the whole line, that was the one that jumped out at me. Funny, because I played the Tama Starclassic Birch/Walnut snare and wasn't blown away. I'd like to play the two side by side.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the ring question, I don’t find it rings more than most snares. About average or maybe a wee bit less but not noticeably less.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Tama, It’s between the Tama SLP Fat Spruce and Heartbreaker next for me. I’m thinking the Tama could be too one dimensional and not get used enough but I might give it a try.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Tama, It’s between the Tama SLP Fat Spruce and Heartbreaker next for me. I’m thinking the Tama could be too one dimensional and not get used enough but I might give it a try.
I'd have to hear the Fat Spruce in person, it didn't seem to be for me. But I would very much like to hear their spotted gum. The Heartbreaker seems well regarded.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One little nit pick thing that bugs me is placement of the badge on those racks. I understand why (because of the ISO mount) but man, it bugs me... They do sound great with all the mics.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't hardly played my other snares since I got this thing. 2nd easiest snare to tune that I own. 30th anniversary walnut!

20200901_150005.jpg
20200901_150017.jpg

Tolee66

Reaction score

I have a 2012 black panther 14x8 that has the adjusters you are talking about.

flurbs

Reaction score
That video with the Design Lab kit has given me no idea what it sounds like other than it sounds like drums being played in a room and recorded with a camera.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the Mahogany "Heartbreaker" snare drum. It's pretty awesome. A buddy of mine who also happens to be an endorser sent it to me for Christmas.